bulk winchester .22lr ammo mishap.

Codyology

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
37   0
Reaction score
I know for sure it wasn't the gun, ive fired all kinds thru including old cci rat shot. But I picked up a bulk box of the winchester 525 bulk box cause my federal bulk is running low bought 20 boxes many years back when it was around 9 bucks for 500 if that gives ypu a clue how long ago that was.

The new bulk runs super dirty compared to my 15 year old bulk federal I got years back.

Ok this brand new box of winchester was doing fine up til this point a couple duds but I expected that for a bulk box.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v716_cwhotrod311_20121130_140924.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v716_cwhotrod311_20121130_140843_1_1.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v716_cwhotrod311_20121130_140851_1.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v716_cwhotrod311_20121130_140900.jpg

call me full of **** but years ago i shot some very old federal bulk left overs. had one explode in the chamber of nylon 66 blew the bolt back and pepper me with the powder and molten casing pieces. after i stopped freaking out screaming "im blind!" i asked the resident range guy who told me that 22 ammo if not stored correctly something something something about the primer charge in the rim something something something turns into something and builds up and when you go to shoot the round this explosive something rips out the side of the casing its fired from. sorry for all the somethings but i really have no idea what the guy said, just wanted to post in this so i know to look at it in the morning and see the answer myself. :-). knarly powder burn though

Bandit I had some fun rounds that goofed out of the federals for sure. Sadly I know what that something something is but cant remember either.
Didnt burn much at all.

My buddy and i where shooting bulk Winchester .22lr with his Ruger SR22 and we had a Bunch of them FTF ... never had any issues whatsoever with the Federal...the Winchester sucked ass...

Save the rest and send it back to Winchester. Call em and tell em what happened and they will send a shipping label to your house and a UPS truck to pick it up. You might include some of the duds and pics of the one that blew. they will be interested to get their ballisticians to check em out
They will make it right but after a big batch of their duds I was reimbursed for, I bought centerfire ammo with the certificate they sent me. No more winny bulk 22 for me.

Wow, never seen anything like that before!

Glad you weren't seriously hurt. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

I had something very similar happen in a MK II once. But I think it was because it fired out of battery. It kind of felt like someone slapped my hands hard- no real damage thankfully.

Actually, looking at the pictures of the blown out case, mine was different. The bottom edge of the case right above the rim was opened up like a can opener everywhere except where the extractor was hooked on the rim. Bullet exited the barrel, but the bolt didn't open far enough to eject the brass.

Glad you weren't injured and I'd send it back to Winchester with documentation.

Back
Top Bottom