• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bull pup SKS

DADI03

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I have an already Bubbad SKS that I traded for. I got it with the intent to bull pup it. Has anybody here ever done one before? What did you think of it? What brand did use?

Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

I did the SG Works kit on a beat up sks once. I even cut it down to 16.25" and threaded the barrel 14x1 LH.
It was a fun project but in the end it was kind of a weird setup. It was REALLY front heavy and I wasn't wild about all the screws you had to take out and put back every time you needed to adjust something. I will say that the trigger, once you get it right, is significantly nicer ( smoother, no slop, clean break ) than a stock trigger. There is no way I would want to use it in a SHTF scenario; except perhaps as a short club to take someone else rifle from them? Hope that helps.

SKS are already front heavy. I've never used a bull pup one but I thought it was suppose to help balance them out.

I want to try to understand this. You are saying that a rifle that already has too much weight on the front end gets balanced better by taking more weight off the back end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see what you are saying but I would think that it changes the balance point. You aren't holding up all of the weight from the very back of the riffle.

I want to try to understand this. You are saying that a rifle that already has too much weight on the front end gets balanced better by taking more weight off the back end?

You aren't taking weight off the backend. It's actually pretty simple. You are moving the weight back behind your fulcrum (grip). Instead of all of the metal being out and over. With the bullpup, the receiver, bolt and loaded mag are all back behind your hands, not to mention, pushed up against your shoulder. The weight is distributed back to offset the weight of the barrel.

You aren't taking weight off the backend. It's actually pretty simple. You are moving the weight back behind your fulcrum (grip). Instead of all of the metal being out and over. With the bullpup, the receiver, bolt and loaded mag are all back behind your hands, not to mention, pushed up against your shoulder. The weight is distributed back to offset the weight of the barrel.

I get what you are saying. My experience was that it rendered the sks functionally unusable. Even with a loaded 30 it was no fun to hold or shoot.

Back
Top Bottom