• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bullets seem to Matter

On the subject of bad guys choosing guns based on caliber and the round's effect on the future victim:

HUSBAND GOES INTO A GUN SHOP ALONE.
"I want to buy a gun for my wife." he tells the clerk at the counter.

"Sir, you really should have brought her along so that she could try out a few different models."

"I know my wife, and you know guns. Between the two of us, we can pick out the appropriate gun for her.

Now, i'll tell you she's a strong woman --she never asks me to open up jars or help bring in the groceries. She's 5-foot-9 and 195 pounds. She's pretty tough. I was thinking a 357 magnum. What do you think?"

"Some women do all right with a 357 revolver. But most folks consider that an expert's gun and a man's gun. I think that a 9 mm semii auto that holds 14-17 rounds would be a safer choice."

"Fourteen rounds? Dammit man, that's my wife we're talking about. I dont want her to suffer. Could a .357 do it in 3 shots or less?

The only thing I got out of that was .45ACP kills the deadest.

It's just another hit and miss piece by the morons who write for the dumb masses.

I thought this discussion was settled in the Philippines in the late 1898's.

NYT, only 150 years behind the times.

Back in the day, the "thutty two" was the caliber of choice among a certain sporting element among a certain socio-economic segment of our society. It was enough to get what needed to be done done and the pistols that fired it were easily concealable in pleated pants or a purse.

The "thutty two" sent a pile of people to the morgue.

First rule of a gunfight is bring a gun.

It is amazing that a college professor gets paid to research and write about things that are commonly known. This guy is taking parents hard earned money and teaching their kids gibberish. No wonder so many are living at home.

You just defined the majority of the educational system in the entire country.

Fake news. They say bullet size matters yet 38 special and 357 are in different categories.
More fake out! The 357 has the highest percentile at 72% is greater than any other caliber except other, at 83% which isn't specified. So based upon this inaccurate data, a 357 or the unidentified other has the highest probability of producing a fatal injury.

If the NYT wanted to follow this discussion to its logical conclusion, they would do a study on why LEO has backed off the .40 S&W to the 9mm.

In other words, if the underlying study is valid, LEO management is issuing it's officers less lethal bullets - so what's the justification for that?

My experience has been pretty much as posted above - the average street level criminal uses pretty much whatever he can get his hands on, which pretty much means whatever is getting stolen the most locally.

Due to movies, TV, and just general availability, the "nine" is far and away the most popular street level caliber. Lots more Bryco "9s" than .45.

Also, I don't see that the study was adjusted for the skill level of the shooter (which any real academic study would be). I would posit that shooters using .45 and . 357 and even the short and weak, are more experienced shooters, more familiar with their firearms, and practice more.

Back
Top Bottom