Bullseye powder charges all over the place!?!

jjrock

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
64   0
Reaction score
Bullseye powder using the Lee auto disk...

I'm getting charges all over the place...3-4.2gr

this is my first time using bullseye and I can see that the powder is much finer than what I was using. Do I need a better measure mechanism or is there something I'm just missing?

thanks

Isn't it though?? I put the little bit of HP38 I had back in there and I'm getting exact each time. Time to go shooting so I'll mess with it later. I was talking with some folks the other day at Davids gun room and they cringed when I mentioned that I picked up some bullseye. Is it just the smell and small range that suck about it?

I've used Bullseye in a Lee powder measure (the hopper type). But not with a disk. I had no issues.

Could it be static electricity? You could disassemble everything and wipe down the plastic parts with a dryer sheet. That works wonders on vibratory tumbler bowls and other plastic items prone to static buildup. If you see flakes flying around, or jumping about-- that's a real possibility.

But there's nothing wrong with Bullseye itself. They've been making the stuff for 116 years...

I love the smell of Bulleseye in the morning, that smell, that smell of victory.....

I had some issues with small charges of Bullseye being a bit erratic. Bullseye is a small circular flake powder and I used it quite a bit 30 years ago. Try wiping the powder hopper/funnel with a fabric dryer sheet to see if static is the issue as mentioned.

The spherical powders (Win 231, AA etc.) have always metered best for me.

I've used it for years, and with a disk measure. Never had a swing in charges like that happen with anything. I did go to the adjustable bar and got rid of those disks. It works great and you can get a good range of charge without disassembling the hopper. Just twist the knob. I don't think they are that expensive either.

It was my scale. Weirdest thing. It measures correctly and then doesn't. I finally found a standard weight to test it out. Now I need a new digital scale. I picked up some unique while at the range just because. I know bullseye and unique are two of the more popular ones. Anyone have a preference between the two?

I love the smell of Bulleseye in the morning, that smell, that smell of victory.....

I had some issues with small charges of Bullseye being a bit erratic. Bullseye is a small circular flake powder and I used it quite a bit 30 years ago. Try wiping the powder hopper/funnel with a fabric dryer sheet to see if static is the issue as mentioned.

The spherical powders (Win 231, AA etc.) have always metered best for me.

I've used it for years, and with a disk measure. Never had a swing in charges like that happen with anything. I did go to the adjustable bar and got rid of those disks. It works great and you can get a good range of charge without disassembling the hopper. Just twist the knob. I don't think they are that expensive either.

BTW, thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom