• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

burn rate chart

thood

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
16   0
Reaction score
How accurate are burn rate charts? Many show different data. Is one better than another? Im still fairly new to reloading and see a good variety of powders to choose from. Lil gun, h110, 296 all about the same thing? Should i use faster powders for shorter barrels?

How accurate are burn rate charts? Many show different data. Is one better than another? Im still fairly new to reloading and see a good variety of powders to choose from. Lil gun, h110, 296 all about the same thing? Should i use faster powders for shorter barrels?

I'm not sure on accuracy of the data. I use it more as a guide to compare with other powders I have used. I tend to use faster powders for really short barrels (snub nose revolvers) but use them in other applications. They are more economical but easier to miss a double charge-grenade. Minor powder variances tend to impact faster powders more. But I shoot some faster powders in .45 ACP with good results-accuracy.

Some powders are the same but always reduce the charge for a new can/lot # of powder as some can vary from lot # to lot #.

Some of the same powders: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/pistol-primers-powder-questions.882857/#post-4434436

relative burn rates actually vary to a small extent from cartridge to cartridge and from one pressure to another, A SMALL VARIATION.

IE: powder X may be faster in a 243 while powder Y is faster in a 338.

Back
Top Bottom