• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

buying a new bow

ConRon

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
15   0
Reaction score
looking for recommendations. I will be buying my first bow next week. I am buying it for hunting large game. Ive never hunted with a bow and really havent shot one many times. The bow i will buy will be a used one and Ive seen prices starting at 100 and going up. Ive seen bows that look like The Green Arrow and Ive seen normal lookin g ones like im use to seeing many days back. I need some information so I can make the right decision. Any help is good. Thanks my fellow ODT'rs

YouTube is your friend. If you get a compound bow it is very important that it fits you properly or can be adjusted so it fits you properly.

This guy has some good basic info. The only thing I would say is that from a sitting position you need to set the seat at almost 90 degrees from where you anticipate the shot. Not facing forward like he has it. Also, when shooting down from a stand, bend at the waist to get your angle. Your bow arm should still be close to parallel with the line of your shoulders.

Find an archery shop and shoot as many as you can. The used route isn't a bad idea but if you by from a shop (MOST) will be very helpful with future adjustments and installing new accessories for you.

It's kinda like golf...30 minutes to learn the basics and forever to master. I'd start with a lower poundage so you can practice more with good form, after 10-15 shots with 70# you'll start to get twitchy.

Back
Top Bottom