• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying a silencer online

Triathloncoach

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
201   0
Reaction score
With apologizes to the dealers who support this site, but I'm thinking about buying my silencer online. My trust is finished and I'm weighing my options. Some well established online stores have what I want in stock, which is a local limiter, and at significantly > $100, lower prices with free shipping.

Has anyone bought online? I'm not sure if the online store files the paperwork and then ships to a LGS, or if the LGS files the stamp paperwork.

Just send whatever store you have a copy of your trust and $200 money order or check....I'd rather do something like that in person, though. I'm not sending $200 to a vendor I don't know and not being able to touch the can before it ships...

Just send whatever store you have a copy of your trust and $200 money order or check....I'd rather do something like that in person, though. I'm not sending $200 to a vendor I don't know and not being able to touch the can before it ships...

You've got the process all wrong.

If buying online

Step one find a local dealer who does NFA transfers and see how much they charge for a Form 3 transfer. Usually $50-$100
Step two buy silencer online (you don't pay $200 at this point)
Step three provider online dealer your local FFL's information.
Online dealer then initiates a Form 3 transfer (there is no ATF charge for this)
Wait 2-3 months for form 3 transfer to be approved. Online dealer once approved sends silencer to your local dealer.
Step four go to local dealer pay him his fee for Form 3 transfer
Step five local dealer fills out Form 4 either using your trust or fingerprint/Cleo sign off/photos.
Step six if dealer e-files pay the $200 to the ATF or if he doesn't e-file
Write a check for $200 to the ATF take your Form 4 and mail it along with your trust or Cleo etc to the ATF and wait a year for it to be approved vs 3-4 months if e-filed

So in other words buying online "might" appear to be cheaper but it ads additional time to an already lengthy process. That $100+ "savings" can quickly be negated by your local SOT NFA transfer fee. $50 is cheap for a form 3 transfer most dealers charge $100.

I personally would pay more for a silencer in stock at a local dealer, especially if the local SOT has a firing range so I can shoot with my silencer while I'm waiting for the ATF to approve.

I thought about doing the same thing; however, with the class 3 transfer cost it's not worth it. At the time I was looking at a Specter II that they had listed for 295, I thought great! And then I found the cheapest class 3 transfer was $50...not great :(

On the bright side I found the can at the Ga gun store for 290 so all's ends well.

What can are you looking for?

If you buy from out of state or a local dealer has to special order it for you your still looking at a form 3 dealer transfer wait. Might find a dealer who can match or beat the online price. There are many outstanding class 3 dealers on the forum who would love to try to earn your business.

Back
Top Bottom