• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying my first set up, Dillion 650 or 1050?

arttread

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
Buying my first own set up, have reloaded with friends of mine in the past so I have an idea of how it all works, cost not being a big issue (but also don't want to waste money on anything useless), I just want a solid set up that I won't have to upgrade later on, mainly looking to reload 5.56 and .223, deciding between ordering the 650 and adding all the options or going with the 1050. I don't see that big of a difference in the two set ups. Can anyone give me some advice on this. Thanks

I have both. The 650 will be your best and most economical option in my opinion. The main difference in the 650 and 1050 is the 1050 has a built in swager. However, when reloading .223 you will need to size and trim them prior to reloading for best function and accuracy so you can swage them before you start the reloading process. A positive for the 650 is it has a lifetime no BS warranty. When something wears out or breaks Dillon will replace it for free. The 1050 is considered a commercial machine and come with a 1 year no BS warranty. Another positive for the 650 is the cost of the conversions. Much cheaper for the 650 vs. the 1050.
The 1050 is designed for high volume reloading. I use mine exclusively for processing 9mm brass as I process around 30K per month.

I like the 650. I considered a 1050, but as Jakie said, you have to load rifle ammo in two passes through the press--once to size before trimming, deburring, and swagging, and again for loading the powder, bullet seating, and crimping.

Two tool heads for a 650 will set you up for two passes through the press with room for a power trimmer sizer setup on the first tool head.

Both units are great however, before you buy the "DILLON" trimmer it is great, however needs to be advanced to operate
or incorporate two things or come up with the three in one action like what GIRAUD TOOL CASE TRIMMER. It is the best hands down trimmer we have ever used, any yes he has cheap version for those who say the full size is just too expensive.

GIRAUD, trims, bevels the inside, and removes the outside case neck burrs. That removes two things the DILLON TRIMMER, does not.

Well either of the DILLON PRESSES ARE NOT CHEAP, AND AREN'T BUILT CHEAP LIKE SEVERAL PRESS BRANDS MOST GUYS BUY.

We had the "DILLON" trimmer not easily set up, if want to clean up as you go, now you have to connect your vacuum cleaner
to the unit, and the noise of the vacuum, DILLON trimmer is not easy on the ears, and then momma ain't happy about you using her vacuum for metal clean up.

If you are going to make the investment in "DILLON" PRESSES" and we are DILLON BLUE HARD CORE FAN, their trimmer is not the way to go. With "GIRAUD" you resize, and then trim, the only thing is does not do is clean the primer pockets.

So before you buy the "DILLON TRIMMER", at least give it a L@@K, before you buy.

been using DILLON PRODUCTS, for over 35+ years, so yes we have had a lot of good experiences with them an we are a DYED HARD DILLON FAN.

TRIMMERS, GIRAUD BEATS THEM ALL HANDS DOWN...

just a simple suggestion to strongly consider...

I have loaded a ton of ammo on a 1050. The way the primer seats is worth the price of admission. The big drawback is changing calibers, time consuming and expensive.

All good stuff previously stated.

I will add that I do not debur or bevel my 223, because I tumble after the first pass and trimming, and use a neck flaring die on the second tool head's first station. It bells the top edge of the brass just enough to start a bullet and not scuff the jacket. The taper crimp die flattens it back out for the finished round.

There are dies made for this purpose: Lyman M Die, and the
Lee Universal Neck Expanding Die.

Get a good reloading manual and a single stage press kit from a reputable dealer so that you become imminently familiar with each step of the process. Once you are grounded in the principles, fundamentals, safety, etc.....then move to a progressive. I personally have my .223 brass commercially processed for about 10cents/round. It can then be easily primed, charged, loaded and crimped on the 650. One must be mindful of the powder drop as even ball powders will some times bridge in the drop tube and can result in unscheduled events.

Back
Top Bottom