Calling all Glockophiles

3rd Gen 23. Compact size with the compromise of the 40s&w. High capacity mags and good knock down power.

Oh course, as I've stated in another thread, I wish glock made a compact size (like the 23) in 45acp. That would be the ultimate, no compromising glock for me.

Last edited:
Sorry, im not a physicist...but i would think larger, slower moving piece of metal would be more effective at knocking someone off of their feet instead of going right through an attacker.

Unfortunately that's not the case. If a bullet coming from a gun is strong enough to knock someone off their feet (a la A Team style), then it would also knock the shooter off their feet as well.

Negative. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If that little 230gr ball if lead could "knock them off their feet", it would knock the shooter off their feet as well. 45ACP is far superior to 9mm, however the reduced recoil and cost of the 9mm allows me to get off more effective follow up shots, as well practice more thus making myself more effective. The argument above about having to buy expensive rounds for 9mm but not 45 is a dumb argument. If I am carrying for self defense, I carry the best ammo available bp matter what caliber or cost.

This is why i love the 9mm!

glock 19 all the way, comptac or crossbreed and your good to go.

and a 45 is not going to knock any one down. it will go through the same as any other caliber

Thank you for your professional insight... but isnt it true that a well placed .45 round would be MORE effective at knocking down an attacker than the same well placed 9mm round?

Possibly... bigger is better, sure. But not by that much.
There are so many variables in a shooting... i.e. shooters physical conditioning & emotional state, shot placement, bullet velocity, bullet design, bullet depth of penetration, intermediate layers of clothing, was the victim on drugs, pain threshold, etc., etc. After years & years of exhausting study, the consensus among most experts that I read & correspond with is that pistol bullets do not have the energy to create massive wound channels like a rifle does.
Therefore, good bullet designs, regardless of caliber that will at least penetrate 10"-12" into the threats vitals cutting veins & arteries, damaging vital organs creating subsequent blood loss are more effective in stopping an attacker.
Bullet design is more important than caliber. Caliber size helps, but is not as important as shot placement.
Ask any experienced hunter, poor bullet design or poor shot placement cause many game animals to be lost after hours or days of tracking.
ANY hit to the central nervous system is usually devastating & immediately effective.
Multiple rounds quickly fired into the "bad guy" seem to be extremely productive in stopping the attack.
Apparently those multiple wound paths increase the odds & damage exponentially.

All of this seems to confirm what Instructors have been saying for years, "Rifle bullets tear s**t up, pistol bullets poke holes in things." and "Carry the largest caliber that you can shoot well & WILL carry."

My apologies to "woodstock" for being off-topic but I was attempting to answer a question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom