Camping Suggestions

dawgs511

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
112   0
Reaction score
A few friends and I are talking about taking a camping trip one weekend here within the next month. We have not picked a location but we are thinking about going somewhere maybe near Dahlonega or Helen in North Georgia. Somewhere we can go into a small "downtown" area of a mountain town during the afternoon.

Does anybody have any suggestions? We are all pretty new to this and one of our friends has been somewhere near Helen before. We aren't looking to do anything like hardcore backpacking. Just somewhere or a campground area that 4-5 of us can go and take the truck, set up a few tents and hammocks for a weekend and have campfires and cook some burgers. A place with fishing locations would be a plus as well. Just looking to get away from school and work for a few days.

Completely open to any and all suggestions and specific parks/camp grounds to look into. I've looked around on the internet but wouldn't have a clue what places to avoid and which ones to strongly consider.

I don't know how it is now, but I used to go to Cooper's Creek campground for a week every summer and it was pretty nice. Several trails, campground is right by the creek. It's been 20+ years since I've been there, but it was nice, small place. A bit north of Dahlonega and not too far from Helen. Also wasn't real far from a fish hatchery and you could fish in the creek beside the hatchery.

I believe there is a link somewhere on the DNR website that lists campgrounds and camp sites in Georgia.

Never camped N Ga, but if you decide to head south east Fort MacAllister SP campground is very nice. Quiet, convenient to downtown Savannah and tybee, showers and all. Plus a fishing pier on a brackish river. We camp there often. Fishing the pier is a blast. 1-3' sharks every cast on light tackle makes a good time!

I was specifically referring to Cooper's Creek Recreation Area, which may very well be on the WMA. I was not aware there was a WMA of the same name. I was only talking about one specific campsite. However, apparently there are several designated free primitive camping areas on Cavender Gap Road or Mulky Gap Road. I really don't know about the fees for anything else, like I said it's been over 20 yrs since I've been. If you plan on trout fishing, make sure you check regulations for when you plan to go. Many of those streams are seasonal trout streams and some are not stocked.

My son and I go to Rock Creek often. It's just north of Blue Ridge on Hwy 60. Very quiet and there is a trout stream and pond for some fishing. There is primitive camping a along the road and also an area with 8 prepared camp sites with restrooms right beside the hatchery. Its not far to Blairsville and of course Blue Ridge. A little farther are Suches and Dalonega. We enjoy it very much.

Winifield scott... Lake seed.. dicks creek... boggs creek.... Unicoi.... rock creek.... backside of belton bridge...

Back
Top Bottom