Camping Suggestions

If you're looking for a campground type setting, check out Etowah River campground. If you can handle more primitive, check out Jones Creek. Both are close to Dahlonega.

If you're looking for a campground type setting, check out Etowah River campground. If you can handle more primitive, check out Jones Creek. Both are close to Dahlonega.

Jones Creek is the best kept secret of all.
Whoops, on second thought I should delete this.

Personally, the Dawsonville Forest is high on my list of places I want to go- never been, but I'm assuming there are camping areas there?

I don't know man. The deal on Dawson Forest was no camping unless it's for a scheduled hunt. You could set up the day before a hunt and have to be packed to go by noon the day after the hunt. I've noticed lately with all the horse riders it sometimes looks like they've spent the night. There are no actual camp sites with fire ring, picnic tables and such.

Jones Creek WAS one of the best kept secrets till it was given out. You'll need something with good road clearance to get in. There's nothing close as in stores or a downtown type area. It's a long ways out of the forest for anything. There's just a few natural trout in the stream it's not stocked. It doesn't sound like what you're looking for, but it's a nice quiet and wild place.

Helen and Unicoi sounds like what you're looking for. One other option would be War Woman WMA in Rabun county/Clayton. Trout season will be open in a week or two and it's stocked. There are designated camp sites and the town isn't too far off.

Wherever you go keep the cooler with food in the truck at night and beware of the no alcoholic beverages allowed signs. Ranger's will not cut you a break on that. JMO

I don't know man. The deal on Dawson Forest was no camping unless it's for a scheduled hunt. You could set up the day before a hunt and have to be packed to go by noon the day after the hunt. I've noticed lately with all the horse riders it sometimes looks like they've spent the night. There are no actual camp sites with fire ring, picnic tables and such.

Jones Creek WAS one of the best kept secrets till it was given out. You'll need something with good road clearance to get in. There's nothing close as in stores or a downtown type area. It's a long ways out of the forest for anything. There's just a few natural trout in the stream it's not stocked. It doesn't sound like what you're looking for, but it's a nice quiet and wild place.

Helen and Unicoi sounds like what you're looking for. One other option would be War Woman WMA in Rabun county/Clayton. Trout season will be open in a week or two and it's stocked. There are designated camp sites and the town isn't too far off.

Wherever you go keep the cooler with food in the truck at night and beware of the no alcoholic beverages allowed signs. Ranger's will not cut you a break on that. JMO

That was going to be my next question. Probably should have posted that in my original post. The cooler will definitely be full of food and drinks, any of these places allow alcohol?

That was going to be my next question. Probably should have posted that in my original post. The cooler will definitely be full of food and drinks, any of these places allow alcohol?

I don't know for sure bud, but I think alcohol is a no go in all State Parks and on Corps property (like the campgrounds on Lake Lanier). I'm 100% sure on the Corps property and just pretty sure on the State Parks.

Keep in mind unless the laws have changed they don't need you to say ok to check your vehicle on any WMA's. They can check anywhere you might have hid something you poached.

Back
Top Bottom