• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can anyone identify this projectile?

UptaCamp

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
My FIL has some of these 7mm Rem Mag cartridges but he isn't sure what the gold/black projectile signifies; any ideas?

20240329_200606.jpg
20240329_200558.jpg
20240329_200546.jpg

If it was a sealant, I'd expect to see it around the primer as well. There was a period of time in the early to mid 90's (Ruby Ridge, Waco, etc.) where folks were putting up loaded ammunition and sealing the case mouths and primer pockets for long term storage. When taggants in powder and shortened primer shelf life rumors were all the rage, folks were buying components and loading their own ammunition like I've never seen. I almost got caught up in the nitwittery myself.

That is the LEAST probably explanation. I've not seen a projectile like that. It looks like it may be turned bronze? I've seen turned bronze bullets used in magnum cartridges but it's been a minute and they are expensive.

I've read in a few places, a long time ago, where people would use various metals turned down for bullets and would put bluing on the shoulder areas to keep down galvanic* response between it and the brass. Dunno. Maybe.

*--A galvanic reaction occurs when two dissimilar metals are in electrical/acidic/humid contact with one another which causes one metal to corrode. Noble metals (gold, silver, platinum, palladium) are resistant to corrosion and oxidation. When these metals are mated with more corrosive metals (tin), a Galvanic reaction would occur.

I've read in a few places, a long time ago, where people would use various metals turned down for bullets and would put bluing on the shoulder areas to keep down galvanic* response between it and the brass. Dunno. Maybe.

*--A galvanic reaction occurs when two dissimilar metals are in electrical/acidic/humid contact with one another which causes one metal to corrode. Noble metals (gold, silver, platinum, palladium) are resistant to corrosion and oxidation. When these metals are mated with more corrosive metals (tin), a Galvanic reaction would occur.
1711803864007.png

Back
Top Bottom