Can you protect your neighbors home?

I agree with everyone else; "stuff" isn't important enough to kill someone over. Adding the fact that you went on to your neighbors property or went "sniper" on them would be very hard to defend in court which is where you will inevitably end up. Now, if ANYONE steps foot in my house that I don't know, especially in the night, they will likely fall on some nasty JHPs.

NO

I would call 911 and yell at the intruders while racking my pump shotgun and standing on my porch... I would go inside before the police arrived....would not want to get shot by them...lol

Research gacarry.org. & the O.C.G.A. codes under Ga. Weapons Laws. Specifically 16-3-21 & 16-3-23.

This is stuff everyone who has a gun for use in self-defense needs to know well.

Also just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

Undercover police have been killed by "well-intending" civilians who charged in not really knowing the full circumstances.

^^^THIS^^^

You have way to many questions and, frankly, misconceptions to be dealt with on an internet forum. You need to get serious about educating yourself about this.

Research gacarry.org. & the O.C.G.A. codes under Ga. Weapons Laws. Specifically 16-3-21 & 16-3-23.

This is stuff everyone who has a gun for use in self-defense needs to know well.

Also just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

Undercover police have been killed by "well-intending" civilians who charged in not really knowing the full circumstances.

This is the most intelligent answer you can get on such a question asked in a public/online forum. (As stated by Protective Measures)

Many people will say they "will" do this or that when a situation occurs. The truth is that no one can say what will happen in a self defense situation. Emotions and adrenaline will be all over the place, especially for untrained or under trained persons with good intentions. The best thing you could do has been mentioned, but anyone who takes on the responsibility of firearm ownership should seek professional training on the use, care, and laws regarding the use of said firearms. Add to this daily/weekly practice with the firearm to gain and remain proficient. We can only rely on the training/practice we put forth to hopefully react in a safe and prudent manner.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

Deadly Force

There are 3 code sections that govern when lethal or deadly force may lawfully be used.
Defense from a forcible felony; A person is justified in using threats or force to the degree they reasonably believe it is necessary to stop another person's imminent use of unlawful force.
A person is justified in using deadly force which may harm or kill only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony (unless it is regarding defense of habitation, which has its own requirements below). You are not justified if you were the aggressor or you are/were/on-the-way-to committing a felony. (The state has pre-empted local cities and counties from further restricting this defense.)(16-3-21)
Defense of habitation; (here habitation means dwelling, motor vehicle, or place of business) A person is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if any one of the following is met:

1. A person is breaking\has broken into your home in a violent and tumultuous manner, and you think that the intruder is going to assault you or someone else living there.
  2. A person who is not a member of the family or household and who unlawfully and forcibly enters the residence and you know it is an unlawful entry.
  3. The person using such force reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.
(16-3-23)Defense of property other than habitation; Lethal force cannot be used to protect real property unless the person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.(16-3-24)
(Stand Your Ground/Shoot First/License To Murder - went into effect July 1st, 2006) If you have determined you need to use lethal force (as stated in one of the underlined "Defense" sections immediately above) you do not have to try to retreat before using that force. If your defense is valid, you are immune from criminal prosecution (unless it is illegal to carry that weapon where you used it) and civil liability actions.(16-3-23.1, 16-3-24.2, 51-11-9)

Does said neighbor have a backhoe ? My answer depends on if he does or does not .

Funny you should say that.
I saw this sign the other day.

Attachments

• IMAG1538-1.jpg
    IMAG1538-1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 82

"Defense of property other than habitation; Lethal force cannot be used to protect real property unless the person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Would it not be a commission of a forcible felony when someone breaks into your neighbors home?
I was under the impression that anything over the amount of $500 stolen was a felony.
Someone please add some input on this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom