Can you protect your neighbors home?

This is the most intelligent answer you can get on such a question asked in a public/online forum. (As stated by Protective Measures)

Many people will say they "will" do this or that when a situation occurs. The truth is that no one can say what will happen in a self defense situation. Emotions and adrenaline will be all over the place, especially for untrained or under trained persons with good intentions. The best thing you could do has been mentioned, but anyone who takes on the responsibility of firearm ownership should seek professional training on the use, care, and laws regarding the use of said firearms. Add to this daily/weekly practice with the firearm to gain and remain proficient. We can only rely on the training/practice we put forth to hopefully react in a safe and prudent manner.

^^^All of this^^^^, but the highlighted line is an especially good point. High stress shooting skills are some of the most perishable skills out there. Practice, practice, practice!

Last edited:
"Defense of property other than habitation; Lethal force cannot be used to protect real property unless the person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Would it not be a commission of a forcible felony when someone breaks into your neighbors home?
I was under the impression that anything over the amount of $500 stolen was a felony.
Someone please add some input on this.

I think the operative word here is "Forcible". The problem is that Georgia code is about as clear as mud when defining "forcible felony".

1. (16-1-3) Title 16, Chapter 1, Section 3

(6) "Forcible felony" means any felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any person.

2. (16-11-131) Title 16, Chapter 11, Section 131

"forcible felony" means any felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any person and further includes, without limitation, murder; felony murder; burglary; robbery; armed robbery; kidnapping; hijacking of an aircraft or motor vehicle.

So, which damned one is it? I play it safe and assume that if a human being is not in danger it's not "forcible" and deadly force should not and can not be legally used.

Last edited:
I think the operative word here is "Forcible". The problem is that Georgia code is about as clear as mud when defining "forcible felony".

1. (16-1-3) Title 16, Chapter 1, Section 3

(6) "Forcible felony" means any felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any person.

2. (16-11-131) Title 16, Chapter 11, Section 131

"forcible felony" means any felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any person and further includes, without limitation, murder; felony murder; burglary; robbery; armed robbery; kidnapping; hijacking of an aircraft or motor vehicle.

So, which damned one is it? I play it safe and assume that if a human being is not in danger it's not "forcible" and deadly force should not and can not be legally used.

Not really muddy at all.
Forcible felony-direct attack on human being.

That said. You have insurance, your neighbor has insurance. Possessions don't mean a f$&king thing and damn sure not worth taking someone's life over considering the legal and psycologic ramifications.

Back
Top Bottom