Can you spot the lie in this photo?

Lol
When I was a kid my mom drove a 67 beetle
We lived in a small town and there was one guy that worked on VWs

My father dove it by that sip one day to have the guy look at it , and the Vw mechanic worked out of a shop building he rented at a local towing service and junkyard
While the mechanic was working on it the tow truck guy wonders over and spends a few minutes looking at the beetle and then starts showing my dad the scratches he put on the car while towing it out of a creek , and apologizing .

“I told your boys I couldn’t get it out of that creek without scratching it “

1654180470873.png

This was from a 1961 ad. It's widely regarded as one of the best ad campaigns in marketing. VW made it to illustrate their innovative "air cooled, radiator-less engine" instead of water like all the other vehicles at the time. It was the first time a car maker used sarcasm and comedy to market. The entire marketing booklet was full of stuff like this.

I once met a guy at a rest stop whose bug was overheating with steam rising from the engine. He had just pulled off the interstate and had the hatch open. He took a large cooler of ice and water and poured it over the entire engine. I just shook my head and walked to the restroom.

I learned to drive a stick shift at the age of 10 in my brother's 67 VW. Fun car, until he rolled it trying to drive with his knees while making out with his girlfriend. The battery under the back seat leaked, and ate the headliner. We ended up making it into a dune buggy, that involved a cutting torch. Fun times

Back
Top Bottom