• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cancun, Mexico. Tips or advice from previous travelers or travel agents requested?

spamcastle

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
339   0
Reaction score
The future Mrs. Spam and I will be going down to Cancun, Mexico in early November for our Honeymoon and was wondering if anyone had any tips, suggestions, or advise on traveling to this area.

We have been looking at staying at one of the nicer all inclusive hotels (Hotel Hyatt Zilara Cancun is top pick) to ease any potential out of pocket daily expenses. While the upfront costs seems much greater the thought of being able to eat, drink, and enjoy daily activities without having to constantly swipe a card appeals to me. Are these packages really worth it or just great marketing gimmicks?

We have both flown domestically before but never internationally. Any major difference we need to prepare for?

Do we need to worry about currency conversion or should we not be concerned due to the fact that it’s a prominent tourist area?

Is it better to book the flight/hotel packages on our own like we've always done or is this a situation where I should consult a travel agent?

i would have told you to stay out of mexico in general considering their government's typically anti-american stance (unless you have money).

from my understanding (or what i have been told) cancun is nice so long as you stay in the tourist areas. i myself havent been but with international flights it doesnt seem to be a whole lot different except for extra security. id just get to the airports earlier just to be on the safe side

have fun and enjoy your stay

Was there last September. Highly recommend secrets the vine all inclusive resort. Not a gimmick. We did a snorkeling excursion which was good. Went into town one morning to shop but not much else. They all take us currency but it never hurts to have some local currency for emergencies. We booked through a company although I can't recall the name. Just stay with a reputable resort and don't sweat it. Have fun on your honeymoon.
http://www.secretsresorts.com/vine-cancun

I've been to Cancun and the Riveria Maya 18 times. We have a condo in Playa de Carmen. We love the area. Cancun is more of the Vegas style, all inclusive resort place and Playa is more of a cool beach town vibe. We love Playa. Especially 5th avenue.

My advice...if this is your first time and you're staying in Cancun, have your transportation worked out ahead of time. Because when you get outside the baggage claim area, you'll be inundated with people trying to get your business.

Also...I would definitely take a day trip to Playa and spend it walking around 5th avenue (pedestrian only street). It's a great place. You can walk around and cantina hop all day and night and finish the day at Fusion Bar on the beach with a fire and dance show.

currency: go to an ATM and get out as much as you can for your stay as many times during the week. You will get a way better conversion via an ATM (even with fees) than at the conversation exchange places. Most places will also take USD.

overall Cancun and playa are very safe. Stay in the tourist areas and you'll be more than fine. They'd rather keep good publicity and take your money selling you cheap knock off crap than stealing it from you. Better business. It's like they say...if ya keep your nose clean and not look for trouble, you won't usually find it.

Last edited:
My buddy stepped off the sidewalk to piss in the bushes. Three of us were abruptly held at gun point, told if we run we will be shot. Thrown in a cop car, driven around for a while as lies were told to us to scare us. After handing over several hundred US dollars and tons of pesos, we were dumped out in the rain miles from anywhere with no taxi/bus money. Good times. Cancun is awesome! Needless to say, I won't be going back. Some folks suggest that you strictly stay at your all inclusive resort. That's probably the safest play.

The wife and I are headed to Riviera Maya in late September. It's south of Cancun closer to Cozumel. IIRC we're staying at the Grand Riviera Princess, it's an all inclusive. We went all inclusive for exactly the reason you mentioned, we don't need to whip out the card for anything. Talk to a travel agent, they don't cost you anything and make booking your trip a no brainer. Then if you have any problems, say you need to change your dates all you have to do is call them and they handle it. Pricing through an agent will be about the same as doing it yourself +/-. Our agent let us book the trip with a $250 deposit and pay it off monthly.

Have not been in a few years,after the Mayor of Cancun was kidnapped and murdered execution style we decided to stay in the U.S.
Others have already said it,stick to the resort area and you should be ok. We took a trip to another attraction about an hour from Cancun. I did not like being stopped on the highway by armed Mexicans for an inspection. Nothing like 10 guys with ar's and an M60 on a turret mount to make you feel exposed.

went years ago and had no problems. I think you do need a passport now, I've always had one. Most thing's like cabs and such I have always negotiated prices in Mexico. Jus go and have a good time

Back
Top Bottom