• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Canned food storage - a few lessons learned

shootsacanon

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
127   0
Reaction score
The expiration date is more of a “suggestion.” Well, I guess that’s correct up to a point.

IMG_4454.jpeg
IMG_4456.jpeg
IMG_4455.jpeg

I was looking for some stored honey last night, & opened this tub, only to be hit by a terrible, terrible smell. It was stacked full, so I had to shine a light in it to see the funk at the bottom.

It seems the green beans were the ones to go. Two different brands, two different size cans, both 2017 expiration dates. In cleaning it out, I also noticed at least one can of black beans was bulging pretty heavily, with an expiration of 2020.

A few lessons learned:

1. Rotate stock - I’ve already started doing this, but this bin had already expired before I started doing that, & I figured I’d keep it around “just in case.”
  2. Green beans are not going back in the reserves. I knew the acidity of tomatoes made them bad for long term storage, but didn’t know that about green beans. Also, low calorie to storage size/weight ratio.
  3. Keep dry goods & wet goods separate. I should have known this, but I wasn’t really thinking that the cans would leak. I had some otc meds & a sawyer mini in the same tub, & they all got pitched as a result of this.
  4. I have mixed thoughts about using the tub for canned good storage. On the one hand, it contained the mess, so that’s good. I also like that it keeps the preps low key & away from prying eyes. On the other hand, it hid the problem, & I lost more (presumably) good food & supplies as a result. Also out-of-sight, out-of-mind, is not conducive to regular stock rotation.
  5. The tub was in the garage, so it hadn’t frozen, and other than leaving the garage door open while cutting grass, it hasn’t really seen super high temps either. I think time was more of a factor than temperature, in this case.
  6. I don’t recall exactly the last time I opened this tub, but I’m guessing it had been within the last 3-6 months. Not really a lesson here, but maybe if I’d looked a little closer, I would have seen some warning signs & avoided this mess in the process.
I hope this helps someone avoid a similar situation, & I’m wondering how you all store & rotate your goods?

PLEASE do not take this the wrong way.....
So...the issue I have is item #4....
if you are prepping properly, you should keep items below a maximum of 75 degrees....MUCH better if you can get below 70...to that, you mentioned "they probably didn't freeze"....they probably didn't, however I know my garage gets pretty darn hot in the summer....without being in your garage, it seems to me that there can/could be a great amount of temperature change...these things are not good for long term storage...
I know not everybody has a basement, and I'm kind of lucky about that, however I have to deal with the humidity....I've been trying different things, however I cannot seem to get the humidity down enough....my next step is a dehumidifier....didn't want to go that route, due to the heat produced....my advise to anyone that is starting...READ!!!! there are plenty of good sites out there, that will walk you through some of the pit falls....I do not have a lot of canned anything that isn't freeze dried, however I want to stock more....My thoughts are to eat what I can, then give to a food bank prior to the expiration date, then replenish stock...just a thought....

SAM_7782.JPG
SAM_7784.JPG

PLEASE do not take this the wrong way.....
So...the issue I have is item #4....
if you are prepping properly, you should keep items below a maximum of 75 degrees....MUCH better if you can get below 70...to that, you mentioned "they probably didn't freeze"....they probably didn't, however I know my garage gets pretty darn hot in the summer....without being in your garage, it seems to me that there can/could be a great amount of temperature change...these things are not good for long term storage...
I know not everybody has a basement, and I'm kind of lucky about that, however I have to deal with the humidity....I've been trying different things, however I cannot seem to get the humidity down enough....my next step is a dehumidifier....didn't want to go that route, due to the heat produced....my advise to anyone that is starting...READ!!!! there are plenty of good sites out there, that will walk you through some of the pit falls....I do not have a lot of canned anything that isn't freeze dried, however I want to stock more....My thoughts are to eat what I can, then give to a food bank prior to the expiration date, then replenish stock...just a thought....

View attachment 6170091View attachment 6170104
All good info. Thanks for sharing!

Better keep tabs on canned tomatoes as they often bulge a can. I went through my stocks and found several from 2017-18 and had to throw out some. I think it was due to the coating inside the can failing and the tomato acidity. Mine are kept indoors with low humidity.

The expiration date is more of a “suggestion.” Well, I guess that’s correct up to a point.

View attachment 6169684View attachment 6169685View attachment 6169686

I was looking for some stored honey last night, & opened this tub, only to be hit by a terrible, terrible smell. It was stacked full, so I had to shine a light in it to see the funk at the bottom.

It seems the green beans were the ones to go. Two different brands, two different size cans, both 2017 expiration dates. In cleaning it out, I also noticed at least one can of black beans was bulging pretty heavily, with an expiration of 2020.

A few lessons learned:

1. Rotate stock - I’ve already started doing this, but this bin had already expired before I started doing that, & I figured I’d keep it around “just in case.”
  2. Green beans are not going back in the reserves. I knew the acidity of tomatoes made them bad for long term storage, but didn’t know that about green beans. Also, low calorie to storage size/weight ratio.
  3. Keep dry goods & wet goods separate. I should have known this, but I wasn’t really thinking that the cans would leak. I had some otc meds & a sawyer mini in the same tub, & they all got pitched as a result of this.
  4. I have mixed thoughts about using the tub for canned good storage. On the one hand, it contained the mess, so that’s good. I also like that it keeps the preps low key & away from prying eyes. On the other hand, it hid the problem, & I lost more (presumably) good food & supplies as a result. Also out-of-sight, out-of-mind, is not conducive to regular stock rotation.
  5. The tub was in the garage, so it hadn’t frozen, and other than leaving the garage door open while cutting grass, it hasn’t really seen super high temps either. I think time was more of a factor than temperature, in this case.
  6. I don’t recall exactly the last time I opened this tub, but I’m guessing it had been within the last 3-6 months. Not really a lesson here, but maybe if I’d looked a little closer, I would have seen some warning signs & avoided this mess in the process.
I hope this helps someone avoid a similar situation, & I’m wondering how you all store & rotate your goods?
Very good and useful information.
I need to check on my stock.

Back
Top Bottom