• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Canoe advice needed

ztc

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
15   0
Reaction score
So I've decided that I want a canoe. Never owned one before and have minimal experience operating one so I really need some advice from someone who knows alittle about them. First off my max budget is $350. Ill mainly use it for just a fun day on the lake fishing or just paddling around with the little lady and the Rottweiler but I will be using it by myself from time to time fishing, hunting, trapping etc.. Anyway I'm trying to figure out what and what not to get. Lots of used ones on craigslist but again I don't know what I need. What should I look for in a good canoe?
Not looking for bells and whistles just a good durable boat thats not too tippy. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

For general use you want a keel on the bottom to keep it tracking straight. Smooth bottom is to allow sideways movement in whitewater. ABS plastic is more durable and much quieter than aluminum. Wider is better. 16-17' is a good length. Avoid those with tubular frame in floor.
For stability, get knee pads and kneel on the floor and leave rotty at home. The right length paddle will reach from ground to chin when you're standing.
Happy paddling, (the canoe or the little lady)
Canoeing Merit Badge Camp Emerson, Bert Adams, Boy Scouts of America 1967

Last edited:
For general use you want a keel on the bottom to keep it tracking straight. Smooth bottom is to allow sideways movement in whitewater. ABS plastic is more durable and much quieter than aluminum. Wider is better. 16-17' is a good length. Avoid those with tubular frame in floor.
For stability, get knee pads and kneel on the floor and leave rotty at home. The right length paddle will reach from ground to chin when you're standing.
Happy paddling, (the canoe or the little lady)
Canoeing Merit Badge Camp Emerson, Bert Adams, Boy Scouts of America 1967

he said almost everything I was gonna say. I have a pelican wide beam ABS, had it for years. It has a keel and seats but I sit on the floor on a throw cushion an clean back on the seat. Very stable that way.

I practically live In my canoes on the river. ain't nothing to paddling. I would suggest a 14' like this one http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/3750005106.html I got one similar to this i use alot for solo camping trips or day floats with a friend or my dog. later you can get a 16' for times when you need more space. ain't nothing to paddling, just gotta get out there!

Back
Top Bottom