canoe or kayak?

m@w

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
15   0
Reaction score
I am debating in a canoe vs kayak for fishing purposes. I will possibly get two kayaks if I I choose kayaks over canoe. Anyone have any real experience with either for fishing rivers and coves?

I use a one man pontoon. I can get it into the back of my jeep when the seat is folded down. It is very stable for fishing. Of the two, I'd choose kayak easily. Easier to fish on your own. Fishing versions are more stable than a standard canoe.

Canoes are better for hauling cargo like camping gear or duck decoys. Canoes work better for trolling crappie. Kayaks are faster, more stealthy and get blown around by the wind less. If you want a stable canoe, check out a Sportspal.

I've fished out of both and I can tell you difinitively that a SOT (sit on top) kayak is the best way to fish for me. You won't haul as much crap as a canoe, but thats probably not going to be an issue.

I don't like canoes as you tend to sit higher so you are a bit less stable. But sit on top kayaks are the way to go. A lot of people in the Gulf fish for king mackerels with them.

Same as above...
By myself, Kayak.....
With others, Kayaks.......
With others that don't know how to Kayak....Kayak and I let them go shore fishing.....lol

...Just kidding, I will take the canoe in that case. But still regardless if your new to kayaking you NEED TO LEARN how to right yourself while in the kayak, it easy to learn, but dangerous of you don't know how.

Back
Top Bottom