• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carb experts needed!,,,

07JKX

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
106   0
Reaction score
Ok folks... I know a few of you saw my bike thread a bit ago. Well, I am licensed now after the msf course. Still looking for a dual sport, but in the meantime a buddy found a free honda aero 50cc scooter. Well, his wife doesn't like it, so I got a present. The thing runs ...after a rocky warm up, I can ride the thing all day. What it doesn't do is idle. Idles for a few secs, then bogs and dies. Kick start fires it right back up and if I am ready to go, it goes just fine and smooth.

I have been playing with the adjustment screws but really don't know what I am doing. Honda manual says to turn the lower air screw out 1.25 turns. Not sure what to do with the upper screw.... Any help, as always would be greatly appreciated!

below is the pic of what we are looking at... I am also concerned that something may be missing above the air bleed and idle adjustment (there is a "port" coming straight off and also an elbow that definitely looks like something should be there)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
Remove the float bowl from the carb. Unscrew the two brass jets (main jet and pilot jet) run a tiny wire through them being careful not to enlarge the holes. One bristle from a wire brush will work. Spray carb cleaner through them and then blow them out with air. If this doesn't solve the problem check electric choke for operation. I can send you info on how to check the electric choke. I have been a scooter dealer for 14 years.

The lower screw is the air bleed screw--should be open about 1.25 to 1.5 turns as you stated. The upper screw is the idle speed adjustment--it just pushes the throttle slide up as you screw it in. These scoots also have a vacuum operated petcock valve that is prone to malfunction. You have a small rubber hose from the intake manifold to the petcock valve. If this hose isn't fitting tightly on the manifold or the valve it will leak air causing fuel to flow erratically at low speeds.

thanks mountainmoped!... updated with a picture! Any other pointers would be appreciated! This is a fun project ... and the thing is a blast to ride.

Got to repaint it olive drab and put a old "Army Star" on the front and perhaps zombie response vehicle stick on the sides. Need some street cred

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom