• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help from Volkswagen diesel (TDI) owners needed.

There are a few things that stand out to me in that ad. A solid roof/no sunroof is the huge positive. The car looks pretty clean over all. It's a small detail, but seeing a nice, new, and clean coolant ball/reservoir makes the engine bay look a lot cleaner and leads me to believe the car has probably been well-cared for.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a major negative but the DSG transmission isn't as trouble-free as the manual transmissions. If the owner has records of it being serviced, that's a plus. They should have a fluid and filter change by every 40k.

The timing belt is the other major maintenance item coming due that I would inquire about. If they have records of that being done, that's another huge plus. The mileage rating for the timing belts are 130k but it was my experience that the water pump would usually start leaking before then (at about the mileage this vehicle has)

ETA: While 50+ mpg is possible, I wouldn't make it the expectation. You have to very purposefully drive a certain a way to get that. Mid-to-high 40s is a lot more realistic.

There are a few things that stand out to me in that ad. A solid roof/no sunroof is the huge positive. The car looks pretty clean over all. It's a small detail, but seeing a nice, new, and clean coolant ball/reservoir makes the engine bay look a lot cleaner and leads me to believe the car has probably been well-cared for.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a major negative but the DSG transmission isn't as trouble-free as the manual transmissions. If the owner has records of it being serviced, that's a plus. They should have a fluid and filter change by every 40k.

The timing belt is the other major maintenance item coming due that I would inquire about. If they have records of that being done, that's another huge plus. The mileage rating for the timing belts are 130k but it was my experience that the water pump would usually start leaking before then (at about the mileage this vehicle has)

ETA: While 50+ mpg is possible, I wouldn't make it the expectation. You have to very purposefully drive a certain a way to get that. Mid-to-high 40s is a lot more realistic.
many thanks, I may go see it on the hoof tomorrow

the wife has a alh tdi beetle. i need to put a turbo on it. has a little over 200k. the motors are great. i have two of them one out of a bug and one in a jetta. i plan on putting one in my 85 720 with a adapter and a yota 5 speed.. lots of stuff you can do with them.. the cars are pretty crappy and the auto trans will not hold up well. the engines are great... think of a German 12 valve Cummins.... if you have time, they have lost of adapters and a guy even builds 1 wire manual injection pumps. get one and when the car gives up, swap it into another vehicle.....

Back
Top Bottom