Case damage question

b.a., now that does make sense. I get that, maybe I'm missing something but I can't find any vent hole in this die.

photo (1).jpg

Yes it does look like to much. Like said before.
clean your die
lube lightly on the outside, and inside.

Put your die back together properly. Don't oversize. Set you full length die to size the case for your rifle.

What has been said already, way too much lube. I prefer the Hornady one shot myself. One question. If these were all fired from your rifle, Why Full length size the cases? I would use a neck sizer.

Ok, thanks guys, I have ordered the spray one-shot, maybe that will make a difference.

As for the FL die versus neck sizing, I'm new to this and using the equipment I have on hand. I will look into purchasing some additional dies. I have bought Lee carbide 4 die sets for all the pistol calibers I have, but the rifle dies are on loan from my brother. I have read that many are happy with the Lee Collet neck sizing dies but I will keep reading on them.

If you are reloading brass that has been fired in your rifle, no need to full length size. It actually over works the brass and will shorten it's life span. I use the FL when doing once fired that is not mine. When you fire a round in your rifle the brass will be formed to your chamber, if that makes sense. The just resize the neck for proper bullet tension.

Ok, thanks guys, I have ordered the spray one-shot, maybe that will make a difference.

As for the FL die versus neck sizing, I'm new to this and using the equipment I have on hand. I will look into purchasing some additional dies. I have bought Lee carbide 4 die sets for all the pistol calibers I have, but the rifle dies are on loan from my brother. I have read that many are happy with the Lee Collet neck sizing dies but I will keep reading on them.

If you are loading one rifle caliber for multiple rifles, full length resize. Or if you are reloading for a semi, full length resize.

Makes perfect sense, and I am only shooting brass that was fired in my guns or bought brand new but having said that, up until this point when I pull out a bag of brass I don't know which weapon the brass was shot in. I have an Encore barrel for every caliber bolt action rifle (excluding WSSM) and my boys have matching 700's in .243. I have learned a lot just reading about reloading so far, with obviously much more to learn. But from now on, I will know to keep fired brass together and labeled with the barrel it was fired in. I'm a computer engineer by trade, so best practices and logical thinking are part of my daily grind, which means that reloading is right up my ally. I'm just kicking myself for not getting into this 20 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom