• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Case trimmer suggestions

Copernicusl

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
144   0
Reaction score
I'm venturing into the world of reloading for rifle and it looks like I'm going to need a case trimmer. Any suggestions or recommendations?? Anyone got one they want to sell me??
Thanks

I've got a lyman that I use a lot. works fine, and I think it comes with a variety of pilots. universal "shell holder" for the primer side to hold it in place. I have the manual turner, and the one that you can attach to a drill. I can trim quite a few in a short period of time once it's set up... pretty accurate as far as trimmed length as well. have no idea how much they cost i've had it so long, but I like it.

The Forester is a great trimmer. The only thing that I wish it had was a fine adjustment ring on it. The Lyman a friend had didn't last a year till the bushing the cutter rides in came out. The Hornady I tried didn't impress me either. It like the Forester lacks any fine adjustment, and I'd buy the Forester over it for the overall better quality. Of the ones I've used the RCBS and Forester have been the best quality. The RCBS would get my vote for it's ease of fine tuning.

The Forester is a great trimmer. The only thing that I wish it had was a fine adjustment ring on it. The Lyman a friend had didn't last a year till the bushing the cutter rides in came out. The Hornady I tried didn't impress me either. It like the Forester lacks any fine adjustment, and I'd buy the Forester over it for the overall better quality. Of the ones I've used the RCBS and Forester have been the best quality. The RCBS would get my vote for it's ease of fine tuning.

I prefer the Forester over all because the machine quality is sooo nice that I really don't miss the fine tuning adjustment but that's just me.
I imagine RCBS is high quality but all my reloading friends like the Forester best too.

Last edited:
I helped set up a Forster for an older fellow Friday. I had one like it when I first started loading. I let a friend have it when I got my powered RCBS. I've gotten used to the fine adjustment the RCBS features being there, but it ain't deal breaker. I recommended the Forster to the older fellow because it's easier for older hands to change shellholders and such than the RCBS. It was great to see that Forster still has that smooth as silk finish on everything that moves. He called me last night to tell me how pleased he is with the Forster. He replaced a less than stellar Lyman that the bushing turned loose on with hardly any use. Both are very capable, just trim one to spec, mark it and save it as your jig for the next time you change calibers. I love my RCBS, but that little Forster does operate like a Swiss watch!

I agree with you on the Lee trimmers. preset and foolproof. The only thing better is the new universal 3 jaw chuck they offer. I have one and its all I use, absolutely flawless!

Back
Top Bottom