• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

casting 44 mag

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
125   0
Reaction score
picked up a bunch of lyman 44 mag bullets that have been cast but not sized or lubed. Can't remember off the top of my head but they are about 250gr, .431 size currently. I've got an older Lyman 450 and a .430 sizer and appropriate punch.

The 44 cast bullets I have in the past used were .429. Seems I read somewhere that a lot of pistols prefer .429 and rifles .430.

Any thoughts on the differences (yes, I know, it's .001")? I have a .430 sizer, but would have to order a .429 (more standard size I assume).

I havent slugged either of my normal shooters. if it matters, one is a new Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter 7 1/2" barrel, the other is an older Ruger 96/44 lever action. Like I said I've always shot .429 sized cast bullets thru them and they shoot fine for what I'm doing, wondering if I should buy a .429 or just size/lube them .430 and shoot them.

BTW I'm got white label lube Carnauba Red and BAC lube, any preference for either caliber? was leaning towards CR for the 44 mag. anyone use White Label Lubes?

Many people use .430 bullets for 44 mag. On any revolver the critical dimension is not the barrel, but rather the cylinder throat. If you size to .430 and can still push the bullet through the cylinder your fine. You need to try the .430 sizer and remeasure the bullets. On larger dia. bullets, they can sometimes springback when sized if you are using a hard alloy so you may need to get a .429 sizer to make the bullets .430 for the alloy you are using. You just have to measure them. Also, if you size to .430 and have good accuracy without excessive leading, I wouldn't worry about it. Take the advice my 76 year old Aunt gave me a few years ago, "Never cast, size and lube more than 20-30 bullets without trying them, because if you have to recast them, the lube will make a heck of a mess smoking in the pot!"

good info. I'll check the .430 and maybe try to go shoot a few and see how they work. they are just a bit heavier than the Ga Arms 240gr SWC that I've been shooting, and are cast around .431-432. I'll size and lube some and see how they work. thanks for the feedback guys. BTW these are from the Lyman 429421.

still working on cleaning the old lube out of the 450. Got most of it out, but still getting a nice mix of red/black lube on the couple I sized so far. Need to heat up the sizer as the lube is pretty solid at room temps.

Back
Top Bottom