CCI #41 worth the extra price?

therubberduckie

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
13   0
Reaction score
I've only ever loaded my .223 with CCI #41 primers. I heard/read somewhere that using normal small rifle primers could lead to slam fires.

How accurate is that? Is it worth the extra money or is the slam fire concern more of a rumor?

If your BCG is really, really dirty you could possibly experience a slam fire. If your rifle is in good shape probably no worries. The cup thickness on CCI #41's is ,025, ,022 on other srp's. I've never had a problem using the cheaper, thinner cupped primers, FWIW.

Same here!
I use CCI primers which are known to have slightly tougher cases.
but as always I would not say don't believe the experts.
remember however that these recommendations are often made with every military weapon made in mind, which may be a full auto version.

To answer the op no they are not worth the extra money to me. I have personally never had a slam fire with any ar of mine. I have also not heard of anyone that I know having this problem. Could it happen? Sure, I guess, just always follow proper gun control and never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to destroy.

To answer the op no they are not worth the extra money to me. I have personally never had a slam fire with any ar of mine. I have also not heard of anyone that I know having this problem. Could it happen? Sure, I guess, just always follow proper gun control and never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to destroy.

Regarless of price, best answer yet.

if you are looking for accuracy they may be, but for everyday use in 5.56/223 and other smaller centerfire calibers, I've never used them. no problems.

Back
Top Bottom