• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CCW Road Trip - GA to NY

I have eliminated the possibility of going to jail in NY for exercising my second amendment rights. I have vowed to never set foot in the state and pretty much any state north of NC.
I have a friend who won't go north of I-20 :)

When I first started flying, it struck me about the utter lack of identification of where one state ended and another started.

Yoy can be two miles up over northern Va and see five different states/districts each with vastly different firearms laws.

We need fifty foot walls delineating where freedoms begin and end. A deep moat with no bridges would be appropriate as well.

Got a road trip coming up next month to NY. Will be there for 2 days. Stopping in Richmond, VA for a night on the way up and back. Is it worth trying to travel with my firearm? Thanks
Lots of good ideas presented. It's a whole lot easier to leave your guns home. New York is relatively safe as long as you stay in the well traveled areas. I agree it's not fair or right but for a short stay it's just easier and yes I'm a transplant from New York and am a whole lot happier here.

Lots of good ideas presented. It's a whole lot easier to leave your guns home. New York is relatively safe as long as you stay in the well traveled areas. I agree it's not fair or right but for a short stay it's just easier and yes I'm a transplant from New York and am a whole lot happier here.
And I get that, but I refuse to support a state government that persecutes people for trying to exercise their constitutional rights. I'm sure there are many nice areas and things to see in NY, but it won't be with my money. I just hope the rest of y'all that decide to move south, vote to keep those NY values in NY.

25 years ago, New York State had, in my opinion, BETTER LAWS about HANDGUN CARRY than Georgia did.

In NY a carry permit (not restricted or limited to the gun range hunting fields or other sport shooting activities ) took a long time to get, several months, but once you got that carry license you could take your pistol virtually anywhere.
Bars and restaurants were OK, schools, government-owned buildings, concerts, sporting events, etc. There were almost no places off-limits to a permit holder.

In contrast, here in Georgia before Georgiacarry.org was formed and got politically active, you really couldn't carry a gun out in public without breaking the law on a daily basis. We had the "public gathering" law, including a ban on possessing a gun within 200 yards of a public gathering or other off-limits location.
All publicly owned buildings off-limits. All parks and recreation areas . Cities and counties would ban carry on all of their recreational facilities. Churches were off-limits with a full year in jail as a penalty for a permit holder carrying at a place of worship.

Carrying within 1000 feet of a school, even for a GWL holder, was a 10 year felony crime. There was no misdemeanor version of it for permit holders. Leaving the firearm inside your parked locked car while you visited the campus was also illegal.

Concealed carry was illegal-- you had to carry as openly as your clothing and the holster permitted. And you were required to use a holster, and it had to be a shoulder or waist belt holster. No tuckable elastic band pouches, no pocket holsters, and no ankle holsters.

Bob's Gun Shop in Midlothian, VA would be a good place to leave it for a cleaning. I bought my first gun there in the late 60s and am visiting friends a couple of miles from there right now.

Better check under the seats and make sure no ammo is floating around before hitting Jersey. HP's will get you in a world of hurt up there. The Georgia tag will get you lots of looks and a few close ups from NYPD. They seem to feel an obligation to check out Georgia tags. Also when you get lost and see the gangs on the corner just remember life isn't fair....they have their guns but you can't have yours!

I’m Law Enforcement, wife’s family was having there family reunion in New York City. I called the NYPD and requested information about out of state officers carrying in there city. They advised me “ if caught carrying I would get locked up for the night while they verified my employment “ I didn’t go to that family reunion.

All good advice.

My parents have a vacation home in MA, lovely place, and once a year I drive up and back. No firearms, no ammo.

AVOID MD at all costs if you have a firearm in the car, they scan out of state plates and cross reference carry permits and pull you over and turn your car inside out.

I drive to Charlotte, and up 77 to 81, you avoid most major cities, avoid heavy traffic, bad roads, and all the crazy tolls. That route takes you all the way to NY in the easiest way possible.

Back
Top Bottom