• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cerakote, Duracoat, Kimpro, it's all junk ....

So since kydex holsters are pretty much the norm then you would have to say that these finishes can't hold up under normal use right? ;)

I'm 50/50. I did a ria a while back, looked great held up fine but I never used it with a fobus. Got a Taurus 1911 in 9mm, duracoated it the same way...but I used the fobus. Trigger guard looks terrible. Other than that it's great, it's a Taurus after all. Range toys dot have to look good, the gun is a blast to shoot.

I do have to say that I have one that I did myself with not duracoat but durabake coating several years ago that has still held up. It's an AR-15 receiver set and barrel. It seems like it's fundamentally different than the regular duracoat but I still doubt that it would hold up to continuous unholstering/hostering either.

I blasted and duracoated a 10/22 awhile back. I had a piece of cut off barrel that I painted/prepped the same way just to test the finish... It definitely won't stand up to an abrasive like sandpaper or a file. But the 10/22 still looks good.

In my experience cerakote applied properly is very tough.

Duracoat and the kimpro finish hold up no better than krylon except krylon is easier to remove completely when it starts looking like crap.

The cerakote on my Glock17 just started to flake on the rear of the slide. Of course its my 97 honda accord of firearms, so I really don't care. Now my TRP operator with the so called " indestructible Armykote finish", has started to wear around the saftey and grip saftey. So yeah... It's all crap. Regardless, I think it gives my gun character. It shows it's being used, unlike those precious Kimber safe queens, that haven't had there 500 rd cherry popped..... I'm sorry, I meant break in period.

Back
Top Bottom