Changing from street/sport to Dual sport motorcycle riding?

Damn! KTM makes a 1190 with 147 HP. Now talking about grunt! Holy Moses can you imagine. The KLR650 has 40 HP so imagine the torque on the KTM. Now if I got a KLR 650 and my propensity to fiddle with aftermarket mods I could shoot that up a good bit but a 1190 on a dual sport. I like the sound but that would be a little cumbersome off road wouldn't you think?
They make a 1290 currently. YouTube Chrs Birch on a 1290 super adventure R. He rides that thing like a dirt bike.

Yamaha TW200 for me. Low and slow and goes anywhere. Also light enough to easily load by myself onto a hitch carrier and take camping hunting etc. I have one at camp for riding the FS roads and logging roads on my property and dragging deer and one at home I ride around the backroads, use for pond hopping and ride to work when the weather is nice. I'm 6' 2" 220 and it hauls me as fast as I want to go.

uX0Hfng.jpg

c0z3WpC.jpg

n8yvNCT.jpg

ecpV2M0.jpg

Nice T-Dub Weagle! There use to be a guy that would ride one from Alabama that I would see all of the time up at Cherohala Motorcycle Resort. He had one of them fancy milk crates on it and some luggage and would ride it all over the place.

My 18 year old daughter has expressed interest in getting a bike so she and I can take a trip together. The T-Dub or one of the XT-225/250 is at the top of my list if I bought her one. I am picking up a Triumph Scrambler 900 in a couple of weeks after taking a break from riding so we’ll be halfway there!

Yamaha TW200 for me. Low and slow and goes anywhere. Also light enough to easily load by myself onto a hitch carrier and take camping hunting etc. I have one at camp for riding the FS roads and logging roads on my property and dragging deer and one at home I ride around the backroads, use for pond hopping and ride to work when the weather is nice. I'm 6' 2" 220 and it hauls me as fast as I want to go.

uX0Hfng.jpg

c0z3WpC.jpg

n8yvNCT.jpg

ecpV2M0.jpg
I like it

uX0Hfng.jpg

c0z3WpC.jpg

n8yvNCT.jpg

ecpV2M0.jpg
Awesome Tdub. It and the 250 are on the want list. Never owned a bike before, but the reasons you gave are why I would get the Tdub. They really are neat machines and pretty much unchanged since 1987. If it works, it works......

In Virginia you can legally register your dirt bike to ride on the street. You just need the license plate and register it with the DMV for 15 bucks. Then add plates, signals, headlights and turn signals and a horn. I'm thinking about buying one of the big CC dirt bikes and converting it. POWER!

Awesome Tdub. It and the 250 are on the want list. Never owned a bike before, but the reasons you gave are why I would get the Tdub. They really are neat machines and pretty much unchanged since 1987. If it works, it works......
The Yamaha TW200 weighs the same as my old 1979 Yamaha DT250 did--- about 275 lbs.
That's a good weight for riding on dirt trails where you can have it slide into a ditch or mud pit and you have to manhandle it back onto the trail or a firmer spot of ground. When I was in my 20's, I could drag that dirtbike back to the trail from the crash site a few yards away, often downhill. Sometimes I'd use a rope. But on these much larger and more powerful dual sport / adventure bikes that weigh 450 lbs, I don't think I could do that most of the time, solo. I'd need another strong guy to help, and maybe a come-along and extra pulley, too.

0.jpg

PS: My DT250 was street legal, at least for a year or two until I broke off the lights and turn signals and mirrors crashing it in the woods or bouncing off tree trunks.
During the time it was fit for road use, I used it to get my Class M license (pretty easy on such a small bike, good for tight turn at low speed). I did ride it several times on the public roads, but I didn't enjoy that on such a small bike that vibrated a lot and didn't have much power once you got over 50 MPH, though it would do 70+ on level ground with some time to wind it up (and I weighed about 225 lbs. back then). It's "adequate" for riding to and from the dirt trails, but you may want to buy or rent or borrow a real street-specific motorcycle later and experience THAT kind of riding on the roads.

Back
Top Bottom