Changing from street/sport to Dual sport motorcycle riding?

What size dual sport do you bigger guys ride ? I weigh about 245, feel like a 650 would be too underpowered

Most all of the single cylinder bikes make the same HP (save KTM), it’s just a difference in gearing. A KLR650 is a 80/20 street/dirt road bike. Honestly I’d almost say it is more of an Adventure bike than a dual sport. The KLR has been around the world more than any other bike. I like it for what it is, but know it’s limitations.

None of the Japanese offerings will make you happy if you’re looking for “power” out of a single cylinder motor and the suspension isn’t sufficient for most American sized individuals, If you think you need the power and suspension, get a KTM. They offer what you want at a price mind you, that is typically several thousands more than a Japanese dual sport.

Personally after having over 50 bikes, most of which have been dual sport and Adventure bikes, I’m leaning toward the Tenere 700. Not really any “bigger” than the current singles like a XR, DR, or KLR, but comes with a parallel twin motor and decent suspension.

If I bought a bike it would be a dual sport just in case I wanted to do a little off-road venturing. Power to me is second to gas mileage since that would be my primary purchase goal. Mainly I would just use it to go up and down the mountain to Lynchburg. There are just very few short stretches of a 55 mph mile an hour speed limit but most of the curves are are 25 to 35 mph tops.

My back would not allow me to do long rides so really the size of the motor is not a huge consideration since I'm sure a 650 would give me all the power I would need. I'm not one to jump on a 1100 cc motorcycle and start ripping it up like you see some of the guys riding around on those type bikes. That's just not me. Dangerous!

After doing some extensive research the Kawasaki KLR 650 is considered to be bulletproof since it's such a simple configuration. It's been around forever and I would get one without all the extra doodads on it because that's just something to fail in the future. Not that it would bother me cuz I do the work on everything on it. I'm just wanting something I can hop on real quick run up to the grocery store for something quick I'll run to the pharmacy. That's 15 miles away but it's up and down a pretty good size Mountain. It takes longer than the actual distance and I have to put at least $10 worth of gas in my truck to get there and back. I can put 3 gallons in a motorcycle and that would probably last me a month. I have a four-wheel drive truck and that takes a good bit of gas. So just running back and forth to Lynchburg as much as I do would save me a lot more gas than you think it would. I don't live in Atlanta I live in Virginia so even though something is 15 mi away it's a good 20 minute ride or more just because of the slow speed curves that are continuous up and down.

Most all of the single cylinder bikes make the same HP (save KTM), it’s just a difference in gearing. A KLR650 is a 80/20 street/dirt road bike. Honestly I’d almost say it is more of an Adventure bike than a dual sport. The KLR has been around the world more than any other bike. I like it for what it is, but know it’s limitations.

None of the Japanese offerings will make you happy if you’re looking for “power” out of a single cylinder motor and the suspension isn’t sufficient for most American sized individuals, If you think you need the power and suspension, get a KTM. They offer what you want at a price mind you, that is typically several thousands more than a Japanese dual sport.

Personally after having over 50 bikes, most of which have been dual sport and Adventure bikes, I’m leaning toward the Tenere 700. Not really any “bigger” than the current singles like a XR, DR, or KLR, but comes with a parallel twin motor and decent suspension.

I have to agree with you I would have to ride both the KTM and the KLR before I could make an intelligent informed decision. If I could find the KTM that was in my price range then I would go that route in a heartbeat. There are so many motorcycles out there for sale I'm sure I could run into one that was kept excellent condition. I know from selling Jeep Cherokee four-wheel drives that a lot of people intend on taking one off-road but 95% of the four-wheel drives in Atlanta never hit the dirt. Now in Virginia that be a different story but I'm sure there are guys that buy those kind of bikes that's keep them in the garage and pamper them. I have wanted one of the KTM dirt bikes since I was 12 years old.

Also one thing you have to consider is there's always a way to ring out more horsepower and engine. They tame those things down from the factory for warranty reasons but I know the ins and outs of that deal. There's always a risk of going overboard but like I said before I'm not one to get real hairy on one anyways. I do have to agree that a twin cylinder bike would be the better option.

I'd like to get a cheap Sportster 883 and turn it into a scrambler

The 883 is 100lbs heavier and only has 10 extra hp than a KLR. That with the suspension being nonexistent on a sportster, you’d be better off with a Scrambler 1200 from Triumph or a Desert Sled from Ducati.

I started riding a Honda CR125R dirt bike and didn't like having to load and unload once I reached the dirt. So I bought a BMW F650GS and ride it to the dirt/gravel and keep on going. I've ridden everything in the forest between Cumming and Helen and always have fun. I ride on the roads and highways mainly to get to the forest and occasionally ride to work to save gas. I love riding in nature, stopping by a waterfall, and there's no traffic, soccer moms, gang members, or cell phones in the woods.

Dual sport riding is rewarding, challenging, and I've met a lot of good friends. You can get a good work out trying to keep a 400lb bike upright on a rocky stretch. My bike is 20 years old and bulletproof with proper maintenance. I would ride it cross country and plan on it once my son is out on his own. It's my first and last street legal bike. I'm riding up to N. Carolina to meet some riding buddies I met over 10 years ago and only see when we ride together. Get out there, join a forum for your bike and network on sites like this for riding partners. If anyone wants to ride, pm me.

Attachments

• IMG_20230529_154825224_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20230529_154825224_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom