Cheap 223 ammo for my AR

Headshot

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just got a new AR set up, it's my first and I have some questions about ammo. My AR is a C3 Lower and a Rock River Upper. Finishing up my Magpul accessories and just got a Vortex Strikefire red dot for it (based on reviews and lack of $600 for an Aimpoint or Eotech, I decided the Vortex was the best sight for me). My main question is is it ok to use cheap russian 223 ammo like TulAmmo or Wolf, or should I stick to US made brands? Is it ok to use the cheap re-packed ammo? My rifle is mainly for fun at the range, not competition or long distance target shooting. But, I would like to keep it in good shape in case I ever need it for whatever reason. Any input would be appreciated. Here's a pic of my two favorites from my collection. photo(12).JPG The AR doesn't have its accessories on in this pic.

Buy a box and try it. Different guns run different ammo better. That said, if the upper is factory RRA it may have a bit of a tight chamber if the samples I have shot are a clue and may not like the steel cased ammo. Only one way to find out.

I've used Prvi Partizan 5.56, Federal Lake City 5.56, and PMC .223 all with out problems. Different guns like and dislike different ammos. Just don't buy in bulk until you are sure that it will cycle.

If you're into brass case reloads, I heartily recommend freedommunitions. Check out their "Blaster" line of training ammo for plinking. But mostly I shoot cheap steel stuff in my ARs.

Don't leave a lacquered case in a hot chamber until it cools down. It will take a metal rod and some thumping to get out. Otherwise the steel case stuff if it shoots is a great savings if you don't reload.

Nice pair you have there. :cool-new:

Back
Top Bottom