• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chestnut trees

Good deal!

Maybe they will do OK, since they are cross-pollinated. Chestnuts used to be the dominant tree in the southern US. It would be great to see them come back. I woods sure could use something more interesting than sweetgums, poplars, and mostly useless pin and water oaks.

I agree....this nursery sells them up to 10' tall already, with a 3.5' developed root system. My only concern is the limestone slab part of my property is on, apparently they need a high drainage loose soil area, which is understandable for the massive root systems needed to develop the mature trees. I'm thinking maybe near the river bottom would be ideal.....time will tell

I agree....this nursery sells them up to 10' tall already, with a 3.5' developed root system. My only concern is the limestone slab part of my property is on, apparently they need a high drainage loose soil area, which is understandable for the massive root systems needed to develop the mature trees. I'm thinking maybe near the river bottom would be ideal.....time will tell

I may have to look into that. I would like to have some around here.

Looks like I'll be adding the to the orchard. I've already got peaches, pears, pecans, walnuts, several species of apples along with wild and tame blackberries and blueberries.

Dont forget figs too! I got sm growin by my shop that I dont have to do any maintinence to, and they produce a ton every year.

Looks like I'll be adding the to the orchard. I've already got peaches, pears, pecans, walnuts, several species of apples along with wild and tame blackberries and blueberries.

Dont forget figs too! I got sm growin by my shop that I dont have to do any maintinence to, and they produce a ton every year.

Oh we've got a fig tree.....it's roughly 30 years old and produces more than we can use every year! I get so sick of canning them.

Grew many chestnut trees in a northern state over 20 year period. Whoever made the note of OUCH when they're on the ground is ... RIGHT! They are hard, heavy, and hurt. The 3Hs of chestnuts. :)

Not to mention the flippin' weevils ...

Ive got 2 of the trees at the house and hate them with a passion. I cant even walk out of the house without shoes. they are the thorn in my side, I'd reighter deal with a pissed out women then with these trees.

Also keep in mind the nutritional attraction to wildlife as a mast crop; deer and turkeys love 'em, as well as lots of other critters in the food chain. They aren't easily put off when there's a chestnut to be had! I'll add to the discussion above about planting location that they prefer northeast-facing slopes where that's an option.

Berry College here in NW Ga is one of the sites where the ACS is doing their back-cross program, they have an orchard of young trees that would do well to watch.

Last edited:
I got 2 Chinese trees 3-4 years ago. Last year was the first where they were edible. I haven't done any fertilizing. Guess I'll go talk to the guy at Pike's this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom