• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chevy tune-up kit

diacnik

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
John 14:6
85   0
Reaction score
Looking to tune up my 2001 Silverado 4.8. Any recommendations for coils, wires, plugs? I see ENA, Dragonfire, MAS, and other kits online - let me know what has worked well for y'all. Thanks

Yep…stay with AC Delco as stated above. As far as replacing coils, only replace if they are out of spec using ohm meter. Rarely do they need replacement if they work.
( I am a certified master tech….do this for a living)

You don't need new coils. If they are bad they won't ignite. Get a good set of low resistant plug wires like MSD or some other brand that has a low ohms of resistance. A good set of spark plugs and spend money on a real good set. An air filter and oil change that's all you need on these new engines. Also run a fuel and injecter cleaner in the tank and maybe a good high mileage oil additive to slick up the parts. That about all you can do. Believe me a good set of wires will be upwards of 60 bucks. So you won't want to buy parts you don't need.

If you absolutely think you need some coils then get on a LS1 Tech forum and buy set from somebody that's modifying their engine. You can pick them up dirt cheap that way and usually they're low mileage coils. On the wires the lower the ohms the hotter the fire so that's the reason why we use a low on resistance wire. And any advantage you can get with the plug take advantage of it just so you get a clean combustion burn. Other than that the engines are pretty much simple to tune replace the parts and go on about your business. It's quick and effective. Use the money you're not spending on other stuff to get you one of those little diagnostic code readers and keep it in the glove compartment. Since the truck has high mileage on it might come in handy. I've seen these new LS engines run 400,000 miles and still have a ton of life in them. I've modified them at 150,000 miles with camshafts and nitrous and everything else and would eat up the quarter mile and still drive home like it was a drive in the park. These are amazing engines if you take care of it it will last you a another 200,000 miles.

This is what I used to use in my nitrous car. It's worth the money in the last forever. But if you ever replace coils just go back with regular manufacturers OEM coils. Aftermarket coils have a propensity for failure and there's really no benefit in it. Scroll down and get the combination with the NGK plugs and then the boot protectors. Those will help keep the spark plug boots at the exhaust manifolds cool. That's where all the abuse is taken on a spark plug boot. It's a good combination but it's not cheap but you only have to do it once every 200,000 miles so compared to the old days it's pretty reasonable.

I've got a bunch of LS based stuff left over from my build my car only had $7,500 mi on it it when I tore the engine down so all the parts will have low miles. I'll dig around in some of the boxes in the attic and see if I kept the spark plug wires. If I kept those and the original plugs I'll just send them to you for shipping costs. But don't hold your breath that might not have saved them.

I've got a bunch of LS based stuff left over from my build my car only had $7,500 mi on it it when I tore the engine down so all the parts will have low miles. I'll dig around in some of the boxes in the attic and see if I kept the spark plug wires. If I kept those and the original plugs I'll just send them to you for shipping costs. But don't hold your breath that might not have saved them.
Thanks for the advise and let me know about any good parts you have leftover

Back
Top Bottom