• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chili recipe

I've used this recipe for the past 20 years with great success. Depending how many packets of hot chili seasoning you use the chili can be zippy with a sweet taste as you swallow it....

4 pounds ground venison
2 large yellow onions, diced and sautéed
2 cans Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilis
2 large cans Petite Diced Tomatoes
2 large cans Tomato sauce
1 can Tomato Paste (if you like your chili tomato-ey)
1 jar Pace Salsa, medium
4 to 5 packets of McCormicks Chili seasoning (3/2 or 4/1 regular to hot)
2 cans Light Red Kidney Beans, drained
2 cans Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained
1 can Mexican Corn
Brown Sugar -- I usually add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar per pound of meat (helps take the bitterness of the tomatoes away)
Salt and pepper to taste

Give it a try -- you won't be disappointed....

JMHO

I used this one (adapted to my tastes) cooked in a cast iron Dutch oven. Smoked it over mesquite for 30 minutes at the end. Dang good chili! I won a chili cook off with 17 competitors. It’s my go to now. Takes a bit of work but worth it! Good luck brother!

I used this one (adapted to my tastes) cooked in a cast iron Dutch oven. Smoked it over mesquite for 30 minutes at the end. Dang good chili! I won a chili cook off with 17 competitors. It’s my go to now. Takes a bit of work but worth it! Good luck brother!

What changes did you make?

I've used this recipe for the past 20 years with great success. Depending how many packets of hot chili seasoning you use the chili can be zippy with a sweet taste as you swallow it....

4 pounds ground venison
2 large yellow onions, diced and sautéed
2 cans Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilis
2 large cans Petite Diced Tomatoes
2 large cans Tomato sauce
1 can Tomato Paste (if you like your chili tomato-ey)
1 jar Pace Salsa, medium
4 to 5 packets of McCormicks Chili seasoning (3/2 or 4/1 regular to hot)
2 cans Light Red Kidney Beans, drained
2 cans Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained
1 can Mexican Corn
Brown Sugar -- I usually add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar per pound of meat (helps take the bitterness of the tomatoes away)
Salt and pepper to taste

Give it a try -- you won't be disappointed....

JMHO
That’s a big pot! If I use 2 pounds of venison can I cut everything lease in half also?

That’s a big pot! If I use 2 pounds of venison can I cut everything lease in half also?

Now that is a good question. I've always used a 12 quart pot and froze the remainder in serving packets for 2/4 people. I would guess that you can halve everything -- but you may need to do some taste testing. This chili won't disappoint....

Thankx

I use a crock pot it’s a full pot

3 lb ground deer or beef browned
1-Bell pepper chopped fine
1-onion chopped fine
2- cans light kidney beans
2-cans dark kidney beans
2- cans chili beans
Pack chili seasoning
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce

I usually put in on low around lunch and it’s ready when we come out of woods at dark

I was inspired by this thread so I decided to make a pot (crockpot).

1lb. Ground Beef (73/27)
1 pkg Carne Asada Flank Steak (minced)
1 Huge Sweet Onion (diced)
1 Large Fresh Jalapeno Pepper (seeded, diced)
1 8oz can Tomato Paste
1 28oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
2 16oz cans Small Red Beans (these are small and have thin skins)
1/4 tsp Ground Cumin (fine)
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
2 pkgs McCormick Regular Chili Seasoning packets

I put the tomatoes, tomato paste and red beans in the pot along with the seasoning packets & spices. Brown the ground beef and take it out leaving the drippings. Browned ground beef goes into the pot. Sweat the diced onions and diced jalapeno in the drippings and then they go into the pot. I lightly brown the Carne Asada (flank steak) and it goes in last. I give it several good stirs with a wooden spoon and then add some salt and pepper to taste. Set the crockpot to LOW and go to the gun club for a few hours of shooting then come home good & cold, ready for a bowl of chili with diced pickled jalapenos, sour cream, saltine crackers (or oyster crackers) & shredded extra sharp cheddar (room temp). Serve with neat Bourbon for a little more heat.....

Just had a little taste after two hours in and it's very good with just the right amount of heat.

Yields about 12 cups or 6 good servings.

Koolaid Koolaid

Back
Top Bottom