Christmas in 1944….

The generation sacrificed in ways we cannot fully appreciate. I have been watching WW2 in Color, and told my wife and daughter that we are sitting here comfortably as a direct result of the efforts of that Great Generation. Personal to me also, as my grandfather was one of Patton's 3rd army guys who, along with many other battles, survived the Battle of the Bulge.
My uncle (Dad’s brother) served in Patton’s 3rd Army too. Mom’s brother served in the 22nd Infantry. Both were in Europe in 44. My dad served in Lemay’s 20th air force in the Pacific (stationed on Tinian) late 44 thru 45. He was there when the Ebola Gay and a few days later Bock’s Car flew on their historic missions.
my avatar pic is him and his crew.

My uncle (Dad’s brother) served in Patton’s 3rd Army too. Mom’s brother served in the 22nd Infantry. Both were in Europe in 44. My dad served in Lemay’s 20th air force in the Pacific (stationed on Tinian) late 44 thru 45. He was there when the Ebola Gay and a few days later Bock’s Car flew on their historic missions.
my avatar pic is him and his crew.

My uncle Robert was in Patton’s 3rd army, gunner on an APC. His brother Roy was on a destroyer in the pacific 1943 - 45.

My dad was an aircrew member in the pacific. He would not talk about it. His older brother was killed in the battle of the bulge. Had 2 other uncles serve as well.

All grew up in the depression dirt poor.

My father was in Europe during this time.
He did not speak much about what happened during this time and we did not ask.
He described having "blisters" on his toes and fingers from the extreme cold :shocked:

Back
Top Bottom