• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cleaning chrome

DADI03

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I have some old f150 rims with caked on grime and brake dust. Is there anything that will clean it off? I got the faces pretty clean but l can't get the backside clean where the face of the rim meets with wheel. It's to tight to get in there and scrub. Does anyone know a good product that can dissolve it with minimal scrubbing?

I'll look into that, I'm pretty sure they are steel rims. They are off of a 92 F150. Thanks for the heads up.

1639491513738.png

Used STL3026A/C Ford F-150 Wheel Steel Chrome #F2TZ1015B​

This is the rim

No problem. Id be the one who'd put some sure enough chemicals on them then be wondering why the chrome was peeling. I've never heard of chroming over aluminum. Didn't even know that it was possible.

I have always used Never Dull or Mothers for my motorcycle chrome and truck wheels. They make different one for different types of metals. But the one i added below is kind of a all purpose one. You can get it at walmart or any local autoparts stores most of the time. Does a great job.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 9
I have always used Never Dull or Mothers for my motorcycle chrome and truck wheels. They make different one for different types of metals. But the one i added below is kind of a all purpose one. You can get it at walmart or any local autoparts stores most of the time. Does a great job.
Is that a cleaner? The problem I'm having is getting off the years of neglect. It's hard to tell in the picture I posted. But the way the face is fitted on the rim it self there's a pretty much impossible place to get to to scrub. It's hard for me to explain. Especially not know what the different parts are called. I can't find a pic that shows it well either. There are no tires on them right now. Not sure if they'll ever go back on my truck or not, I just want them to look good if I decide to do it. I feel like whatever I use is going to have to pretty much eat off whatever it is on them on it's own, maybe with a light ragging in between the areas to wipe it out. Not sure if there is such a product though.

It will clean as it polishes. But clean the wheel with soap and water best you can first. This stuff is not a paste or cream. It's more like cotton soaked in the stuff. You tear a piece off and rub and rub and rub. It will turn black and the wheel will have a black film over it. Then take a clean rag and rub the polish off and you are good to go.

It will clean as it polishes. But clean the wheel with soap and water best you can first. This stuff is not a paste or cream. It's more like cotton soaked in the stuff. You tear a piece off and rub and rub and rub. It will turn black and the wheel will have a black film over it. Then take a clean rag and rub the polish off and you are good to go.
I'll give it a shot. My problem is the areas that I can't get my fingers into. Soap and water isn't cleaning it. I've tried purple stuff to.

Back
Top Bottom