• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cleaning my AK after I shoot?

White, distilled vinegar on four or five patches will break down the corrosion and allow your brush and hoppes to do the rest. Move the patches slowly through the barrel to get a good soaking on the corrosion and into the rifling.

I use Windex cut about 50% with water with a little Simple Green added. Makes lots of nice bubbles...

Water is fine to rinse out the corrosive salts from the primers. I do a good rinse and then use compressed air to get the water out of all the crevices. Then clean as you would a normal firearm.

And because I am THAT nerdy I'll clean and coat with CLP and then follow-up a day or two later to get the REST of the stuff that shows up. CLP really keeps on cleaning after you apply it. After a good wipe down I'll use Hoppe's high viscosity gun oil to keep the rust gremlins away. Oh, and because of a previous thread, I am diggin' the Seafoam "Deep Creep". This is a light oil but really gets to places that you can't reach without disassembly.

I like ballistol. I use to use windex. Now I use ballistol mixed with water. I then just clean normally. Of course that is when I use corrosive ammo! When I dont, I just use hoppes followed by frog lube!

I start with WD40, maybe a little carburetor cleaner if it's real bad, then finish up with some hoppes.

Good route with the AK here. Just make sure you coat it in oil afterwards. Unless you like rust. Spray can of rem oil for the hard to reach areas.

Back
Top Bottom