• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Clybel/Charlie Elliot Shooting Range??

Kman

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Trying to escape from Atlanta!!
279   0
Reaction score
I havent been in a looong while. Whats your experiences with the new system? Is it down often, best part, or anything to avoid/bring. I may be out that way this week and take a long lunch break!

It’s very nice and reliable. Your first time you’ll have to show your WMA stamp, get a range card, and watch a safety video. Once on the range, you’ll see a few range officers. One can be a d!ck but I get it, he probably sees all kinds of stupid stuff. The others are generally courteous, respectful, and helpful. Be sure to bring glasses and ear plugs, those are a must. On the rifle range they have rubber blocks to use if you need them and even a couple lead sleds. I just use their rubber blocks and a small sand bag under the butt.
of you’re shooting rifles, the digital system is very nice and easy to operate. There are 10 lanes, 7 are 100 yards, 2 are 50, and 1 is 25. Rifles stay in their case until placed on the shooting table. The pistol range has steel and reactive targets.

Oh, steel core ammo is prohibited as is rapid fire.

We are fortunate to have a facility like it is and should be used but not abused.

I like everything about the new range.until a friend of my said that they were not keeping the electronic targets calibrated.
if I can’t trust the impact points then it’s worthless.
But again. Just rumors. It has seemed to work fine for me.

It’s very nice and reliable. Your first time you’ll have to show your WMA stamp, get a range card, and watch a safety video. Once on the range, you’ll see a few range officers. One can be a d!ck but I get it, he probably sees all kinds of stupid stuff. The others are generally courteous, respectful, and helpful. Be sure to bring glasses and ear plugs, those are a must. On the rifle range they have rubber blocks to use if you need them and even a couple lead sleds. I just use their rubber blocks and a small sand bag under the butt.
of you’re shooting rifles, the digital system is very nice and easy to operate. There are 10 lanes, 7 are 100 yards, 2 are 50, and 1 is 25. Rifles stay in their case until placed on the shooting table. The pistol range has steel and reactive targets.

Oh, steel core ammo is prohibited as is rapid fire.

We are fortunate to have a facility like it is and should be used but not abused.
Excellent, accurate review. My thoughts as well.

I like everything about the new range.until a friend of my said that they were not keeping the electronic targets calibrated.
if I can’t trust the impact points then it’s worthless.
But again. Just rumors. It has seemed to work fine for me.
Wow, really? I was there 2 weeks ago zeroing a scope on a Marlin 336 and could not get consistent groups. I’d shoot a few, make some adjustments, and shoot a few more and get impacts in different locations from where I made my adjustments.

My base and rings were tight and the scope is a Leupold which are supposed to be okay scopes but it was just frustrating. I don’t think I’m some master benchrest shooter but it just felt like something was off. I had previously shot that rifle on paper at Wilson shoals and had grouped much better.

Also, watch out for the range guy with the screwdriver. He’ll start tapping it on your turrets and rings if he gets too close.

Definitely agreed that one of the RSOs there is a total dick bag. Haven't been to the rifle side the last couple times I've been up there. Took 5 visits in a row to be greeted by him threatening to kick us off the range if we don't stay on target. - Before even getting a chance to unpack and get a shot off. I don't have a problem staying on target. I prefer going to CMP and shooting at 600 yards vs. Their 100. Just don't always feel like driving that far. I get that RSOs see A LOT of dumb **** on the daily but I got tired of being belittled and accosted EVERY time going up there. It all started back in May when somebody brought a .454 up there and severed the fiber optic cable. Had the range shut down for about an hour fixing it. They've been anal about the rules ad nauseam ever since.

Wow, really? I was there 2 weeks ago zeroing a scope on a Marlin 336 and could not get consistent groups. I’d shoot a few, make some adjustments, and shoot a few more and get impacts in different locations from where I made my adjustments.

My base and rings were tight and the scope is a Leupold which are supposed to be okay scopes but it was just frustrating. I don’t think I’m some master benchrest shooter but it just felt like something was off. I had previously shot that rifle on paper at Wilson shoals and had grouped much better.

Also, watch out for the range guy with the screwdriver. He’ll start tapping it on your turrets and rings if he gets too close.
I know exactly which RSO folks are talking about…he backed off of me when I let him know I didn’t need a nanny lol.
And the guy who told me about the calibration problem is an experienced shooter/FFL who knows what he is doing. So that sucks because now I don’t know if I’ll ever trust the electronic targets again.

I know exactly which RSO folks are talking about…he backed off of me when I let him know I didn’t need a nanny lol.
And the guy who told me about the calibration problem is an experienced shooter/FFL who knows what he is doing. So that sucks because now I don’t know if I’ll ever trust the electronic targets again.
Haha next time I’ll know and be ready to let him know I don’t need assistance.

That’s good to know. I didn’t want to blame the electronic targets because most misses are shooter error but it felt like something was off. I left thinking I needed to get glasses.

When I was there there was another guy shooting the steel gong on the rifle range the whole time. That’s the only thing he shot. Maybe that’s the reason why?

I did enjoy the steel handgun range though. I’ll go back for that.

I was told that they are going to extend what is now the pistol range out to 100 yards as well, and the I assume build a new pistol range beside it. It’s a convenient place to shoot, but I use GA Gun Club to zero my rifles on paper in a controlled environment. I will never again try to zero a rifle at Clybel. I too have chased groups like crazy there, and I can shoot pretty decent.

Back
Top Bottom