• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CMMG .22lr upper Review ##Update##

freedom

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I purchased a 20" CMMG dedicated upper from Midway last week for just under $400, about the same price as a S&W 15-22. I've been going back and forth over which direction to go and I'm glad I went with the upper vs the S&W.

The reviews on the internets is mixed for CMMG uppers. Most love it, a sizable minority hate it complaining of feeding issues, and ammo sensitivity. I went to the range with Winchester M-22, Federal Automatch, Federal brown box, and CCI blazer bulk. CMMG recommends 40gr non-jacketed rounds. All ammo worked with no issues and good results. The Federal brown box is 36gr jacketed HP, which is what is specifically warned against, fed just as well as everything else.

I got better accuracy and grouping from the upper compared to my 10-22 with Tech-Sights. Even though the 10-22 is a 16" barrel, the Tech-Sights extend the distance between sights to a similar distance as the upper.

guns 009.jpg

25 yds with the CMMG upper. Semi-supported, elbows on the table.
Winchester M-22 ammo

guns 010.jpg

25yds with the 10-22, same stance
Winchester M-22 ammo

guns 013.jpg

25yds unsupported, rapid fire.
Federal 36gr JHP

I don't consider myself a very good rifle shot, so I included the 10-22 as sort of a control. Even though it looks as my front sight needs an adjustment, the group still is spread out vs the group from the upper. Everything pictured is shot using iron sights, Magpul Mbus on the CMMG, Tech-Sights on the 10-22.

I don't have any experience with the 15-22, so I can't be positive I made the right choice. But, I will say I'm very happy, and my .22 AR will be my go to .22 rifle. One of my children will probably inherit the 10-22 a little sooner than I expected.

Update

I had it out again today and had a few problems. I had maybe 10 stovepipes out of 200-250 rounds. I also had a few light primer strikes. I didn't clean it after my previous range trip, maybe that's the problem. It's nothing that's a deal breaker, but it seemed perfect for the first couple hundred rounds.

Last edited:
Sweet man! I have been kicking around the idea for a while about getting one of these uppers. In the next few month's one will be added to the collection. I really want a slidefire stock to go with it as well.

As a side note, I just installed a RRA two stage trigger in the lower I used today. I've never used anything other than the stock trigger on an AR and it was an amazing difference. It's like shooting a really great Glock trigger. It's super crisp, and has a really tactile short reset. It's probably partially responsible for the uppers better groups, because the stock 10-22 trigger is awful.

It was my experience that lighter triggers may not have enough power to ignite the primers on 22lr ammo. That was the case with my AR lower with a jard 3 pounder installed.

Regardless, I really enjoy my cmmg kit. It is definitely picky. I use the American eagle 40 grains or mini mags. Oddly enough, it likes the AE better.

Anyway, I stopped shooting 22 altogether about a year ago. I just can't seem to bring myself to pay $.10 / round for 22 ammo.

It was my experience that lighter triggers may not have enough power to ignite the primers on 22lr ammo. That was the case with my AR lower with a jard 3 pounder installed.

Regardless, I really enjoy my cmmg kit. It is definitely picky. I use the American eagle 40 grains or mini mags. Oddly enough, it likes the AE better.

Anyway, I stopped shooting 22 altogether about a year ago. I just can't seem to bring myself to pay $.10 / round for 22 ammo.

It's not a match trigger. The pull isn't much lighter than stock, but all the creep is taken out of it.

Back
Top Bottom