• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CMP: First trip, anything I need to know?

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
A group of us are going to CMP Sunday, is there anything special that we need to know? For instance, is steel cased ammo allowed? I have a few rifles that I need to sight in, are they patient enough for sighting in things? I am going to try to at least get on paper before going and just fine tuning once there.

Steel ammo is fine. Just no tracers.

I think range 2 has 50 and 100 yard targets for zeroing.

They have cold water on site but you may want to bring snacks.

The range rarely goes cold so like GADL said, bring lots of ammo.

And a wagon or cart to get stuff from your car to your table.

You have to watch a video before you can go to a range and no firearms in the clubhouse.

Have a great time!

IMG_1769.JPG

And bring lots of firearms to shoot. It's a long drive so may as well make a full day of it. I've been half a dozen times and still haven't set foot on the pistol range or shotgun range...

View attachment 1324860

And bring lots of firearms to shoot. It's a long drive so may as well make a full day of it. I've been half a dozen times and still haven't set foot on the pistol range or shotgun range...

Same here.

The RO's are incredibly knowlegable and helpful, if you ask them for help. You need to ask them though, because they try hard to avoid acting like "know it alls". They are very happy to spot for you, suggest tips, etc etc

Mr Hicks at the 100-yard range is amazing.......

Have fun! Every RO I've met there has been laid back and good folks, but they do their job. Go to the 100 yard range first to get your initial zero, then head over to the 200, 300 and 600 yard range for some real fun. You drive up to the 100 yard range, but at the 200 - 600 you park your car in front of the main building and use a golf-cart to take your gear and weapons to the range. Don't hesitate to ask for help figuring out how to use the target readout at the bench and you can ask an RO for a list of target sizes (they make these on their own and it's not something CMP officially does, so they don't always have them), so you can get a better idea of how much you need to adjust your point of impact. You can also ask an RO how to figure out actual group size. They will show you where it is on the readout and give you a formula to convert it to inches.

But again, the most important part is to have fun. CMP is kind of Valhalla for shooters.

Oh yeah, if you see a really old RO tottering around, that gentleman is a "Distinguished Marksman" and very worth listening to if he decides to help you out with anything. Wish I could remember his name.

Back
Top Bottom