• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CMP Talladega range invasion July 29

Hayata Hayata good to see you today!!! Hope you guys had fun!!!

You too! Great to see you! We had a BLAST - pardon the pun!

Second shift checking in. Let the boys sleep in some and then finally got on our way this morning. I think it took 15 minutes to pack the van. And then there was this little construction project on I20...

We went through about 600 rounds today. Both boys really loved the AR I won in the charity raffle a couple years back. With the Miculek brake the recoil is almost non-existent. Both (and me) were able to keep the rate of fire to a point that didn't garner any attention.

IMG_1769.JPG

Got the Swiss 1896/11 on paper at 600 yards. Son #2, on his first shot, scored an "X". You should have heard me holler! Proud papa moment for sure. Rather be lucky than good any day of the week!

IMG_1773.JPG

Okay, so here's the funny thing. We were using Kentucky windage plus...once I had the range figured from a 100 yard zero...I told my sons to put the horizontal cross hair along the bottom of the lane range designator and then center the vertical cross hair through the center of the target circle. Son #1 listened and got lucky.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Great to see everyone and sorry I missed meeting Snewt1 Snewt1 and any others!

Thanks for the coins mrs alleycat alleycat ! Me and the boys LOVE THEM!

@dakota port was kind enough to share his AR10 with son #2.

Would like to have communed more with my ODT brothers and sisters today but today morphed from an ODT event to a Hayata family event. Had a great time with my sons. And for the record this was the first time - since we started six years ago shooting - of letting them do their thing without me hovering over them like a hawk. Safety is all important and they really listened and did what they needed to do as far as safety procedures. Double-proud papa moment!

Here's some more pics...

IMG_1757.JPG

The swagger wagon was dragging today...

IMG_1758.JPG

Son #1 brought his 9mm Hi-Point carbine...I brought the loaded mags and forgot replacement ammo...:dispirited:

And didn't even think about going back to the clubhouse to buy more...:doh:

IMG_1765.JPG

Finally got the Swiss 1896/11 sighted in. First three across the top...she's a keeper! And bound for 600 yards!

This was at 100...luckily got her close a few weeks ago at the last range M&G alleycat alleycat put on.

IMG_1766.JPG

Had a Garand issue. Weird. Never happened before.

Had a great time with family today and that's really what it's all about. Got to see some friends but circumstances didn't allow more interaction but we'll get together next time for sure! Or maybe not. I think by boys are hooked on CMP!

Oh and shout out to range safety personnel at CMP. Great folks for sure.

And yes, my boys swept up all those shell casings and separated the brass from the steel...

You too! Great to see you! We had a BLAST - pardon the pun!

Second shift checking in. Let the boys sleep in some and then finally got on our way this morning. I think it took 15 minutes to pack the van. And then there was this little construction project on I20...

We went through about 600 rounds today. Both boys really loved the AR I won in the charity raffle a couple years back. With the Miculek brake the recoil is almost non-existent. Both (and me) were able to keep the rate of fire to a point that didn't garner any attention.

View attachment 1260831

Got the Swiss 1896/11 on paper at 600 yards. Son #2, on his first shot, scored an "X". You should have heard me holler! Proud papa moment for sure. Rather be lucky than good any day of the week!

View attachment 1260835

Okay, so here's the funny thing. We were using Kentucky windage plus...once I had the range figured from a 100 yard zero...I told my sons to put the horizontal cross hair along the bottom of the lane range designator and then center the vertical cross hair through the center of the target circle. Son #1 listened and got lucky.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Great to see everyone and sorry I missed meeting Snewt1 Snewt1 and any others!

Thanks for the coins mrs alleycat alleycat ! Me and the boys LOVE THEM!

@dakota port was kind enough to share his AR10 with son #2.

Would like to have communed more with my ODT brothers and sisters today but today morphed from an ODT event to a Hayata family event. Had a great time with my sons. And for the record this was the first time - since we started six years ago shooting - of letting them do their thing without me hovering over them like a hawk. Safety is all important and they really listened and did what they needed to do as far as safety procedures. Double-proud papa moment!

Here's some more pics...

View attachment 1260861

The swagger wagon was dragging today...

View attachment 1260863

Son #1 brought his 9mm Hi-Point carbine...I brought the loaded mags and forgot replacement ammo...:dispirited:

And didn't even think about going back to the clubhouse to buy more...:doh:

View attachment 1260866

Finally got the Swiss 1896/11 sighted in. First three across the top...she's a keeper! And bound for 600 yards!

This was at 100...luckily got her close a few weeks ago at the last range M&G alleycat alleycat put on.

View attachment 1260867

Had a Garand issue. Weird. Never happened before.

Had a great time with family today and that's really what it's all about. Got to see some friends but circumstances didn't allow more interaction but we'll get together next time for sure! Or maybe not. I think by boys are hooked on CMP!

Oh and shout out to range safety personnel at CMP. Great folks for sure.

And yes, my boys swept up all those shell casings and separated the brass from the steel...
Glad you guys finally made it! Sorry I missed ya, but we were on a time crunch and had to get back home. I didn't get to interact with the group very much either, mostly because I couldn't stop shooting! Still though, I did get to meet some new faces.
My buddies and I were very appreciative of the coins. We thought they were a very nice touch! Thanks Mrs AC!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

IMG_0380.JPG

Ready to go! Toting 15 guns total for 2 people.
IMG_0383.JPG

The 1st group was 55 grain at 100 yards. The second group was 64 grain. Me like!
IMG_0384.JPG

My 14.5 with 1x4x24 grouped well. I'm getting a new trigger group though. The CMMG starts to run the finger raw with 5.5# springs.
IMG_0385.JPG

Lt Colonel shooting his Garand.
IMG_0391.JPG

Here's the better group with the 556 64 grain.
IMG_0395.JPG
Great times! Realize I need a new optic for my 7MM Rem Mag. I was good on the 64 grain Speer Gold Dots. 55 grain sucks. Haha!

Ugh cleaning everything is the worst, especially when it's a bunch of rifles. I got all the rifles that had corrosive ammo shot through them as soon as I got back, but everything else still needs to get cleaned. Worst thing about shooting oddball guns and cleaning them is not remembering how they go back together. Yep, I am looking at that Steyr M95 carbine. I shot exactly 5 rounds through it yesterday and that was enough. Kicks like a mule!

I think this trip re-affirmed my love for the AR platform. Easy to work on, easy to get dialed in, and easy for the wife to shoot. That means I everyone gets to have fun longer. Had a really good time getting the ARs dialed in, running some ammo through a T53 (which shot surprisingly well), and shooting an AK63DS. I'm bummed out the Hakim having a short day and having to mess with it, but I guess that's just part of the deal. I still haven't figured out the C308 that I bought and totally forgot to throw a red dot on it (I had a spare in my bag). I can't wait to go back and shoot some more.

Back
Top Bottom