• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cocked or dry fire?

My own I avoid dry firing when possible, such as revolvers or exposed hammers.
I do not store compressed.

Those at ready are a different story.

Others, I ask permission after visually verifying absolutley unloaded.

If dry firing harms a centerfire weapon, it's too delicate for me to have. I never store any weapon cocked. What amazes me are the people convinced that dry firing will ruin a 1911, but think nothing of letting it slam closed on an empty chamber. It's make my sick to hear one slam home empty.

rimfires I try to refrain from dry fire... autos I practice all the time. Sometimes I use homemade snap caps and sometimes I dont. Aint had a problem yet.

I dry fire my AR all the time. The only harm to mine would be little more stress on the hammer. In basic training back in the day, we dry fire our A2s all day long.
No problems at all

Some handguns are more delicate.

Just curious, whats bad about dryfiring a rimfire???
As far as "Decocking" with anygun worth it's money, you shouldn't have any problems what's so ever. Me on the otherhand, I rarely dryfire a weapon unless it's practice or something similar, just because mine are always loaded and ready to go.

A centerfire firing pin hits air when dry fired. A rimfire, especially an older one can be driving the firing pin into the steel chamber rim the round normally rest on for firing. Many firing pins have been broken on old 22's from dry firing. Many modern rimfires now have been improved, and are completely unharmed by dry firing. Ruger even recommends dry firing as a means of getting aquainted with their firearms and states there is no harm to their rimfires at all.

Just curious, whats bad about dryfiring a rimfire???
As far as "Decocking" with anygun worth it's money, you shouldn't have any problems what's so ever. Me on the otherhand, I rarely dryfire a weapon unless it's practice or something similar, just because mine are always loaded and ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom