• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Collards

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I love collards. I grew up eating them but think that I have only learn to appreciate them later in life. There is nothing better than good collards and nothing worse than mediocre collards. I remember the day an older gentleman took the time to explain to me how to crop and cook collards. I made amazing collards for a few years and then I don't know what happened its like I just lost it. My collards over the passed few years have declined. Mr Martin has since passed but I want to regain the gift of collards. I don't care for pepper sauce or pepper taste in my collards. If you cook collards and don't mind sharing your tips and hints. I prefer my greens to taste like somebody's grandma labored over them.

I Always use fresh. Cut them up how you like.

In the pot, throw some smoked turkey legs/necks or some smoked pork. And a diced onion with some olive oil and a container of chicken broth/stock. Simmer for 1-2hrs.

Then add your collards a little at a time. Til they all fit

Cover and cook for 1hr.

No salt needed but add some black pepper.

my recipe comes from Justin Wilson.....it's the collards that make all the difference...they have have a freeze before they are any good at all...I adapted his recipe, and slow cook mine for 24 hours....then, they must go in the refrigerator for a couple days!!
I don't chop, I pull the leaves off the stem...NO STEMS for me

IMG_20231228_113859.jpg
IMG_20231228_114743.jpg

I love collards ! Always fry up about half pound of smoked hog jowls and throw in bottom of pot and peel and quarter couple of onions and put in pot with quart of water and about 4 chicken bullion cubes . Clean collards off stems and wash good add to pot as they cook down and put lid on and let cook till tender! We always have baked ham, black eyed peas, turnips and crackling corn bread to finish out the meal!

I have to admit I have gotten lazy and been buying pre chopped bagged greens. I am hoping by confessing this I can find forgiveness and grace. I am turning from my ways and returning to my roots
I plan to find some on the back of some guys truck in a stores parking lot in a part of town I normally wouldn't shop. Im have always removed the stems and then cut them. I think this time Im going to remove the stems and leave the leaf's whole or in bigger sections. I also plan to boil my meat a before adding the greens.

my wife does a good job with them so did my grandma but i dont know what all went into cooking them.
i worked on a hunting plantation 90-93 and the lady that cooked there went by 'Bay' . She brought in a tub of collards and asked me to wash them(she was always good to me by keeping me a plate hot until all the deers were cleaned and in the cooler) After I finished I said 'they're clean' she said 'wash them again'. That went on a 3rd time... I got it the 1st time i bit into some grit....yuck

my recipe comes from Justin Wilson.....it's the collards that make all the difference...they have have a freeze before they are any good at all...I adapted his recipe, and slow cook mine for 24 hours....then, they must go in the refrigerator for a couple days!!
I don't chop, I pull the leaves off the stem...NO STEMS for me

View attachment 6660132View attachment 6660157
Wine and soy sauce...I use Justin's recipe as well

Back
Top Bottom