Colt 45 acp Magazine Question.......

Troy Brown

Space Force Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
ODT Junkie!
47   0
Reaction score
I just got 8 of the Colt 45acp Mags in a trade because I wanted to stock up for my Colt Combat 1911.
Anyways, what I am wanting to do is go ahead and put rounds in them for when SHTF. Then I started thinking....Is this ok? How many rounds should I put in them? Fill them up, or just put 5 or 6 or 7 in them. I have heard that after a while, the spring will get loose or something. Also, is letting them sit for a couple of years like that ok?
Give me some insights my friends........What do you all do? (other that fill em up and blast them empty....lol)

The springs fatigue due to compression and expansion cycles....stored loaded isn't an issue, but I'd download them one if you're planning on intentionally storing them for a long time....for when the s , uh, h's t f....or whatever.

I've left some Chip McCormick mags loaded for years and they still function fine. Granted that's not quite the same animal (Colt is probably better).

Some folks say that loading them won't hurt- it's loading and unloading (one cycle on the spring) that makes a difference. Looking back to the material science classes in engineering school, I'd say that's partly right- but there's also something to be said for 'shape memory' in metals. I'd say that most springs may lose some "power" but that doesn't affect the mag function- until the last round is bouncing around and loose on top of the follower.

if your going to store them for a long time, i wouldnt keep them loaded

but the real wear and tear comes from being loaded and unloaded (used, lol)

None of my WC, Kimber, or Sig 1911 mags have ever had any issues from being stored fully loaded. Every magazine in my house is always topped off.

I've left some Chip McCormick mags loaded for years and they still function fine. Granted that's not quite the same animal (Colt is probably better).

Some folks say that loading them won't hurt- it's loading and unloading (one cycle on the spring) that makes a difference. Looking back to the material science classes in engineering school, I'd say that's partly right- but there's also something to be said for 'shape memory' in metals. I'd say that most springs may lose some "power" but that doesn't affect the mag function- until the last round is bouncing around and loose on top of the follower.

I agree, I also keep a couple mags. loaded but not all of em.
This does not apply to ALL springs though. For ex. I remove all pressure on my valve springs in my Chevelle, because I don't drive it in the winter. If I were to leave them compressed all winter then come spring, they would be virtually useless. A new set of springs aint cheap either. Every racer/hot rod guy I know does this as well.

if your going to store them for a long time, i wouldnt keep them loaded

but the real wear and tear comes from being loaded and unloaded (used, lol)

True-

I would add that they need to be kept clean and dry. Too many people just throw mags in the bottom of the sock drawer, and they get all rusted after a few years.

-Many a good mag been ruined that way.

Back
Top Bottom