• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt Cobra .38 Special 6-Shot Revolver with Hammer Shroud Review and Range Report.

cxglock26

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
123   4
Reaction score
Hey ODTers,
So you guys know I'm an old school revolver guy and lean hard towards Colts. Smiths and Rugers are in my collection as well but Colts rule the roost. Anyways. I normally carry a Detective Special (D.S.) given to me by my g-pa he bought in my birth year and passed it to me at 21 (wink-wink). I have since purchased a couple like a parkerized Agent 2nd edition and a first edition Agent blued. They all shoot really well but I've never really done a review on them so I thought, why not share my thoughts on the one I was fortunate to come across this week. The Colt Cobra. This is a 2" Snubby in .38 special with a 6-shot cylinder with the shrouded hammer and exposed ejector rod. This is a classic wheelie and is infamously known as the model used by Jack Ruby to shoot Lee Harvey Oswald after the assassination of President J. F. Kennedy.

So this model per Colt's website S/N lookup was manufactured in 1967. This model is the aluminum frame model just like the Agent. The Detective Special is an all steel model so the weight difference is definitely noticeable if holding them at the same time. I can tell you by experience that carrying the D.S. you feel it all day long. But the Cobra/Agent is really a joy to carry. Now, the recoil in the Cobra/Agent is more noticeable than in the D.S. but it's not too unbearable. These can shoot +p ammo in a defensive situation. I wouldn't recommend shooting boxes of +p through them at the range but many argue that today's +p is just the standard loads from the 50's and 60's that got dummied down to the non +p loads today. I carry mine with Hornady's and I feel more than protected with those.

Here are some pics. The first few will be of the gun itself. The last one will be the first 6 shots I shot it at a target at 12 yards at the range. There are a lot of people who feel snubbies aren't that accurate at long distances but I would beg to differ. But, if you're carrying a snubbie you only need it to be accurate against your assailant who is probably within a 5' -15" distance anyways.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Overall, I love the Colt (How could you not?). I am a Colt guy to the heart. But, I will say while DA trigger on the Colt is super smooth, the SA trigger pull is nothing like shooting SA on a Smith. Hey, this is my humble opinion right? I hope this mini-review was enjoyable to read and didn't bore you guys too much. I'm sure I didn't cover a few things but this wasn't a comprehensive review just a quick one.

Thanks for the review! I still think that for a never slip no fail pull out and shoot gun that this is the way to go. Also for someone who is new to shooting or just needs something dirt dumb simple they can not forget how to fire when the SHTF these are rock solid. I point new pistol owners this direction.

Is that a removable cover around the hammer? I assume to "streamline" it

Yes it is removable. There are 3 screws installed by Colt. One on the right and left sides and then 1 on the handle at the 3rd point. The idea was to compete with the Model 49 shrouded revolvers by Smith. Colt didn't make the bodies that way they just added the "Hammer Shroud" as a separate piece. I guess they didn't want to engineer new molds so they just added it. It works well. Can easily thumb it down for SA trigger pulls.

Thanks for the review! I still think that for a never slip no fail pull out and shoot gun that this is the way to go. Also for someone who is new to shooting or just needs something dirt dumb simple they can not forget how to fire when the SHTF these are rock solid. I point new pistol owners this direction.

Funny you say that. Was at the range last week and 2 girls who never shot before came in and was like they were told by their brothers and sisters to get a Glock 19 in 9mm to shoot. But they couldn't even rack the slide once they were on the range. I took over my Colt Lawman .357 4" and let them shoot .38s out of it and they had the time of their lives. They both went to look for revolvers to buy after that. Whether they bout one or not I dunno. But, it's amazes me how people seem to poo-poo revolvers and the simplicity of them and that they always go "Bang" on command. Don't get me wrong, a good Semi-Auto is great. But, a revolver always works.

Just my $0.02

Funny you say that. Was at the range last week and 2 girls who never shot before came in and was like they were told by their brothers and sisters to get a Glock 19 in 9mm to shoot. But they couldn't even rack the slide once they were on the range. I took over my Colt Lawman .357 4" and let them shoot .38s out of it and they had the time of their lives. They both went to look for revolvers to buy after that. Whether they bout one or not I dunno. But, it's amazes me how people seem to poo-poo revolvers and the simplicity of them and that they always go "Bang" on command. Don't get me wrong, a good Semi-Auto is great. But, a revolver always works.

Just my $0.02
when I use to take my wife to the range she had the same issue with my Sigs- she couldn't rack the slide- she could shoot it well but wasn't strong enough and it was scary looking to watch her try- but put the 586 in her hand and she was Calamity Jane- I've always thought revolvers were the way to go for the average female

when I use to take my wife to the range she had the same issue with my Sigs- she couldn't rack the slide- she could shoot it well but wasn't strong enough and it was scary looking to watch her try- but put the 586 in her hand and she was Calamity Jane- I've always thought revolvers were the way to go for the average female

You would think the gun companies would have heard that women have a hard time racking slides on semi-auto's and try to fine tune them some or even maybe make a line that makes it easier to rack. Hell Smith came out with "Lady Smith" revolvers at one point and time. Not that the concept was any different but they recognized the need to advertise to the female shooters. I agree. For simplistic sake revolvers are great for females. Less for them to think about.

Back
Top Bottom