• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Communication

mmcever

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
What's the best walkie talkie with ham and shortwave capabilities for the money? Communication range on the talkies doesn't need to be that great, preferably up to 5 miles. Thanks for any help from your experiences.

WT distance has a lot to do with terrain. If u have ur HAM license you have access to repeaters that makes a $30 WT a great tool.
What is the "best" really depends on what u are trying to do.

What's the best walkie talkie with ham and shortwave capabilities for the money? Communication range on the talkies doesn't need to be that great, preferably up to 5 miles. Thanks for any help from your experiences.
Baofeng BF-F8HP 8 watts with a 14 inch antenna. Pretty solid and reliable. I can hit the Stone Mountain repeater easily.
Side note - they are called HTs Handy talkies by most ham operators and do need a license. Search for radio threads, seems like we had a discussion a few months ago about this.

Thanks for the replies. I've Purchased midland gtx 1000 gmrs hand held for now. I've got my license and now I'm trying to get a better understanding of the best frequencies to use.

I ventured out into a new brand and I’m pleasantly surprised, so thought I’d throw the info on here.

TidRadio TD-H8 v2
Great features, max 10w output, outstanding range, Bluetooth programmable, 2500mAh battery, excellent screen, and easily synced with repeaters. Can be easily unlocked for GMRS/FRS/ or both. Beats out my UV-5 collection.

Cons: The phone app can be a pain sometimes. It crashed on me twice while searching for repeaters to import. Some Users have reported TX feedback with the USB-C batteries. The company is aware and addressing the problem. (I had the same issue but found out it was a settings issue).

Tip: When registering on the app, you don’t need to use real information.

Overall, it’s a winner for me. Will be testing the limits of this radio soon.

IMG_1335.jpeg
IMG_1336.jpeg

I'm going to take a look at the tid radio . Looks like you can program the channels. Let us know how far you can reach and what terrain you are in. I've gotten 1 mile with the gtx 1000 where I live. That's from a high hilltop to my home which is down in a hole. That suits my needs for what they were bought for, reliable comms anywhere on the property for $40 a unit.

Back
Top Bottom