• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Communication

Update:

So I noticed a quirk with one of the radios I received (TidRadio H8 v2). When transmitting on FRS, I would get high pitched feedback. After some testing, I determined the battery had a bad ground.

I contacted TidRadio via email and they responded IMMEDIATELY. I’m talking less than 2 minutes. After a couple questions, they sent me a completely new radio. AND included an extra battery.

Now I have 3 GMRS enabled radios!

IMG_1629.jpeg

But, hang on a second. Lots of talk about using repeaters using Ham frequencies. In a grid down situation, most repeaters are using commercial power with back up generators that will keep them on the air for a limited amount of time. How much they are being used and how they are attended will determine how long they will be available. Most repeaters are either at the top of mountains or the top of tall buildings, in a power out natural disaster it might take a while to get power restored or someone there to attend the repeater. So, don't make long term plans to be able to use repeaters and handi-talkies for long term, long range use.

I have HF gear, a good antenna, and a good generator and can be on the air quickly (I have batteries and radios in Faraday cages) that can be set up quickly if my main shack goes down. I can work voice or I can work CW (Morse Code). I don't think I can count on using any of the digital modes, but it depends on why we are trying to operate.

Using HF radios for close in communication is an iffy business. Sometimes using 40 meters you can talk to someone without 35 or 40 miles as long as the ground wave is cooperating. Sometimes if you try to use 10 meters you can talk around the world but can't be heard 3 blocks over.

It's a lot more complicated than just grabbing a handi and talking away to your family. It will always depend on the reason you need to communicate and the nature of the situation that requires the communication.

DE N5GWU

Klif

But, hang on a second. Lots of talk about using repeaters using Ham frequencies. In a grid down situation, most repeaters are using commercial power with back up generators that will keep them on the air for a limited amount of time. How much they are being used and how they are attended will determine how long they will be available. Most repeaters are either at the top of mountains or the top of tall buildings, in a power out natural disaster it might take a while to get power restored or someone there to attend the repeater. So, don't make long term plans to be able to use repeaters and handi-talkies for long term, long range use.

I have HF gear, a good antenna, and a good generator and can be on the air quickly (I have batteries and radios in Faraday cages) that can be set up quickly if my main shack goes down. I can work voice or I can work CW (Morse Code). I don't think I can count on using any of the digital modes, but it depends on why we are trying to operate.

Using HF radios for close in communication is an iffy business. Sometimes using 40 meters you can talk to someone without 35 or 40 miles as long as the ground wave is cooperating. Sometimes if you try to use 10 meters you can talk around the world but can't be heard 3 blocks over.

It's a lot more complicated than just grabbing a handi and talking away to your family. It will always depend on the reason you need to communicate and the nature of the situation that requires the communication.

DE N5GWU

Klif
^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

DE N5GWU

Klif

Agreed, and well put. I personally use Comms for casual use (hunting, range days, off roading, road trips, etc). Realistically, if SHTF 99% of people won’t use comms like that or even know how. Unless you have a private network that’s setup to operate should the grid go down, it’s highly likely most radios will be useless. Other than for communicating within your vicinity.

And an event that would knock out all power, internet, and cell communications, chances are it would be a massive EMP. If so, radios would be fried anyway.

DE N5GWU

Klif

I don’t know enough about HAM to setup a vast network, so perhaps someone like yourself could lend some wisdom?

I have my radios programmed with various repeaters in areas I travel. GA, FL, AL, NC, TN, SC, and VA. But I mostly use GMRS & FRS frequencies.

I’d like to be able to hit repeaters and test the range of my radios. Problem is, I don’t know anyone on the other end and have no idea what their callsign is. I don’t want to call a random repeater and hope to reach someone.

Maybe I can range you. What area are you in? What band/ frequency?

Back
Top Bottom