• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

"Comparing" the Accuracy of 5 types of .22LR

Jonboy140

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
112   0
Reaction score
Kinda bored this evening so I thought I'd start a thread showing a comparison I did this afternoon. Here is the rifle:
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_02_09_betu8ysy.jpg

1992 Ruger 10/22 topped with a Leupold VX-1 2-7x28 Rimfire

Here is my "range":
img.tapatalk.com_d_14_02_09_hy8enu6e.jpg

It's about 40yds from my back porch to the pallet. Of course I open the gates when we're shooting.We haven't gotten that good yet. :cool:

The 5 types of ammo I shot were:
1. American Eagle 38gr hp
2. Federal bulk 36gr hp
3. Norma Tac-22 40gr rn
4. Federal Game Shok 40gr rn
5. CCI mini mags 36gr hp
The Tac-22 is standard velocity and everything else if high velocity.

I was shooting seated with the rifle rested on the porch rail and shouldered. I took 5 shots with each type. Here is the target:

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_02_09_e3aze5as.jpg

The numbers in the list above correspond with the target.

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_02_09_jasejuqe.jpg

So, I'm not sure what it means. I know I'm a mediocre shooter at best and I came to the realization that the trigger on my 10-22 STINKS. The Tac-22 and mini mags(despite the flyer) seemed to be the most accurate overall. I know the human variable(that's me:D) played a role as well, but it was fun. Comments, questions, critiques, etc.?

Last edited:
It's interesting how well some .22 LR ammo accurately performs compared to others. That CCI mini mags 36gr hp or Norma Tac-22 40gr rn would be my hunting round with a bit of scope adjustment for the Norma.

Wow, nice group on the Norma. Never used it...
Fed bulk, not to shabby.

I liked the Norma. It was substantially quieter than the rest. It's definitely match grade stuff. Probably worth the $60 I paid for the brick. It's actually rather "greasy". Not sure what it is, but there's some kinda coating on it.

It's interesting how well some .22 LR ammo accurately performs compared to others. That CCI mini mags 36gr hp or Norma Tac-22 40gr rn would be my hunting round with a bit of scope adjustment for the Norma.

No doubt. How do you think the rn would perform versus the hp on small game?

I liked the Norma. It was substantially quieter than the rest. It's definitely match grade stuff. Probably worth the $60 I paid for the brick. It's actually rather "greasy". Not sure what it is, but there's some kinda coating on it.

That is a paraffin blended lubricant. The Norma TAC-22 is very good ammunition and worth the price and hassle of only being able to order two bricks at a time.

Great comparison! I love threads like this.

You're right the stock trigger on the 10/22 is way too heavy.

If you're even HALFWAY handy with a file/dremel it's easy to do your own trigger job on the 10/22. If you botch it, stock parts are easy enough to replace.

Accuracy on mine really improved with the reduce trigger pull.

Most good match .22 ammo is lubricated. And standard velocity .22 will almost always outshoot high velocity.

The ammo quality matter more with .22 than pretty much any other round.

If you were to pull apart several rounds of each of those .22's you would notice that the bases on the Norma bullets are very uniform and round, with no imperfections. The cheaper ammo is not so carefully made.

Great comparison!!!

Great comparison! I love threads like this.

You're right the stock trigger on the 10/22 is way too heavy.

If you're even HALFWAY handy with a file/dremel it's easy to do your own trigger job on the 10/22. If you botch it, stock parts are easy enough to replace.

Accuracy on mine really improved with the reduce trigger pull.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Are there any particular videos or threads with detailed steps for the trigger job that you would recommend?

Back
Top Bottom