• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Convert S&W Victory .38 SW to .38 Special

do not ream to .38 special, in short you will ruin the gun. sure years ago many did this so they could sell the military surplus guns for an extra 5 dollars.... I'm serious in the day no one wanted a .38 s&w..... they were stuck with guns that didn't sell for around 20 dollars but for ten minutes of labor they would sell for $25...... I used to buy them in the early 70's for $12.95 in near mint condition but had timing or lock problems fix them up and make a nice profit railway express agent guns..... the railroad dicks stood around never fired the guns but showed off by flipping the cylinder open and shut all day or night..... good way to kill a colt, the smiths held up a little better. need to check your measurements, a .38 special is a sloppy fit in a .38 s&w barrel to say the least... just short of being able to drop thru..... and no one mentioned the differences in cases..... check base and mouth measurements big differences...... when you fire a .38 special in a .38 s&w the cases will split about 9 times out of ten.

nothing at all wrong with the .38 s&w. none of the reloading manuals will show any hotter loads for the risk of them being used in the old break tops..... millions of them made and most unsafe to fire at all but a good closed frame colt or smith can be safely loaded to .38 special plus p levels. or you can go the way the brits did and use a 200 grain cup nosed wad cutter bullet..... real man stopper. very fine caliber gun.

This one was converted to 38 sp. Hits what I aim at at reasonable distance for a 2" barrel.

DSCF0833.JPG

Fellow Traders,
I thot I would add one last comment on the WW II S&W Victory. The Magtech .38 SW's were 146 grain and shot great. The four inch barrel shot a 5" pattern at apprx 10-12 yards which, I figure isn't too bad for me at 70 years old. The pistol was tight with a light trigger and very little recoil. It will be my house gun. If you find a nice one at decent price it would be a good piece to train your wife to use in an emergency. Also, very interesting history on the gun.
Capn

Fellow Traders,
I thot I would add one last comment on the WW II S&W Victory. The Magtech .38 SW's were 146 grain and shot great. The four inch barrel shot a 5" pattern at apprx 10-12 yards which, I figure isn't too bad for me at 70 years old. The pistol was tight with a light trigger and very little recoil. It will be my house gun. If you find a nice one at decent price it would be a good piece to train your wife to use in an emergency. Also, very interesting history on the gun.
Capn
From what I could find out about mine, it was sent to the United Kingdom at the beginning of WWII as were many more in support of the war effort. It was repatriated to the US after the war. Someone changed out the original 4" barrel for the short one on there now. I was told this was common at the time. They were easier to sell with the shorter barrels.

You're right. Additionally, S&W had contracted with Britain to build them a light machine gun but during the tests they were so unreliable Britain dumped them in the ocean and SW owed them a ton of money. SW was almost bankrupt so to pay off Britain they built the revolvers in .38 SW caliber so it would use the same bullet as the British Webleys. I have two Webley's, one WWII in .38 SW and the other WWI in .455. Thanks for your comments.

I would just get another cylinder and have it timed to your gun. From a reloading standpoint the 38 special brass is unusable IMO after firing in the reamed out 38S&W chamber due to excessive inconsistent expansion. The rounds will literally rattle in the cylinder. I had one.

I looked at every angle and decided to leave it stock with the .38SW round. I shot it last weekend and the 146 grain Magtechs shot great. Found the original style grips on ebay and now have the gun back to the all stock configuration. Shopping now an inexpensive used leather holster to complete the package. The original military style is too bulky.
Thx for your input.
Capn

I have an original set of victory model notched grips that came off a gun taken in for evidence. I also have a military shoulder holster issues to Army pilots from late 60's through early 90's. It fits a 4 inch Smith

I looked at every angle and decided to leave it stock with the .38SW round. I shot it last weekend and the 146 grain Magtechs shot great. Found the original style grips on ebay and now have the gun back to the all stock configuration. Shopping now an inexpensive used leather holster to complete the package. The original military style is too bulky.
Thx for your input.
Capn
Updated pics?

Back
Top Bottom