• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cool tool to track deer

soggybottomboy

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
19   1
Reaction score
deer-anatomy.jpg
Check out Realtree.com that allows you to select each area of the deer and it will tell you what the blood will look like and how long to let the deer sit before trying to retrieve.
http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/shot-placement-on-deer

Many probably already know these things but I thought it was very cool.

Pretty realistic chart.
Although the last deer I gut shot opened her wide open with a broadhead to the point her guts were hanging out when I found her.
She did not run too far....maybe 80 yards and laid down in a shallow creek.....they are right about mortally wounded deer seeking out water.
The only thing mine did differently was she did not hunker down, she bolted full steam and ran uphill.
Did not find my bolt or blood at the scene and the first drop of blood was found 30 yards from impact sight.
Finally started seeing blood spots and pools when she turned and went downhill.

I got excited when I saw some pie plate sized blood pools then I saw one the size of a welcome mat and started looking for eyeballs.

I found them a little above the creek where you could tell she was laying down in the shallow water....lots of blood there and she was still alive looking at me.

Just a little info so someone can learn from my mistakes.

Although I waited 90 minutes before tracking she was still alive but barely able to move.

I shot her point blank in the skull with a .45 auto FMJ and it bounced off her skull and did not penetrate.
I ended up using my knife to the base of her skull in the spine and she went out.

I guess I could have waited a few hours before tracking and almost decided to call it quits and bring my German Sheperd with me the next morning to find her but I decided to press on.

No more target loads for me.

Back
Top Bottom