• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Copper Plated Bullets???

Use cast load data unless specified otherwise by the manufacturer. Lightly taper crimp. These bullets are more delicate than jacketed; treat them like cast. I use 150 plated in a 30-30 at moderate velocities with good results.

I have over the years used berrys and raniers, nothing really wrong with them, I have been using Extreme for several years now, they are the same quality as the others as far as I can see.
I generally start loads at about JHP reccommendations minus a grain and a half to 2 grains and work up to my liking or pressure signs.
I push them fairly hard out of both the 10 MM and the 38 Super with not a single problem at all.
I don't shoot them out of any rifles, strictly handguns.
they are plenty accurate, the only ones that I know that are recommended as self defense is Berrys Hybrid hollow point, never used them but they have a good reputation for expansion, all the others even though they may be hollow point do not expand and are plinking fodder only.
you can use any powder on plated that yo can on FMJ, Cast, JHP as long as you follow loading reccomendations.
I believe that Ranier and Extreme mention 1400 FPS as the top speed for the projectiles?
Extreme is less expensive, much better shipping charges and often have sales of 5--10% off and free shipping.

I've been using them for years, berry's, rainier, I prefer rainier, I use them mostly in 9 mm, they are great for plinking, as stated above watch the crimp as not to cut the plating, I pretty much use the same crimp with fmj, a straight wall crimp is more forgiving than a roll crimp, keep the bullet around 1200, 1300 max fps and all should be good

I have over the years used berrys and raniers, nothing really wrong with them, I have been using Extreme for several years now, they are the same quality as the others as far as I can see.
I generally start loads at about JHP reccommendations minus a grain and a half to 2 grains and work up to my liking or pressure signs.
I push them fairly hard out of both the 10 MM and the 38 Super with not a single problem at all.
I don't shoot them out of any rifles, strictly handguns.
they are plenty accurate, the only ones that I know that are recommended as self defense is Berrys Hybrid hollow point, never used them but they have a good reputation for expansion, all the others even though they may be hollow point do not expand and are plinking fodder only.
you can use any powder on plated that yo can on FMJ, Cast, JHP as long as you follow loading reccomendations.
I believe that Ranier and Extreme mention 1400 FPS as the top speed for the projectiles?
Extreme is less expensive, much better shipping charges and often have sales of 5--10% off and free shipping.

Ditto

Not too fond of lead, especially in the larger pistol calibers, but the Extreme Plated 9's seem to work good for me!

Berry 158 grain hp target plated recovered from a pecan log from a 357..not a lot of deformation! 14980018757671483002478.jpg

I've used Berrys, Xterem and Everglades and the best deal hands down for plinking is Everglades Ammo. They have free shipping and if you sign up for their news letter you will receive 5% off coupons durning the holidays. I alway order the bulk packages and the quality is great, just load using cast lead reload data and you'll be fine. No leading in any of my barrels, but I only reload for pistols right now.

http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets.html

If you want some 9 or 45 samples to load let me know.

Thanks for the help, I will try out my same load data for my FMJ loads for the same weight copper plated bullets. Will post results when I get the chance to load em up in a couple weeks and test em out.
I think you might want to be closer to a LSWC load data or other load data. I have fired several thousand of the berrys .45 200 swc without a single glitch. they are .08$/ea less than fmj at Midway.

Berry 158 grain hp target plated recovered from a pecan log from a 357..not a lot of deformation!View attachment 1216547
Yea I pushed the devil out off 40 cal plated HP in my 10 MM 1911 and one of my 38 Supers (124 HP) and shot them into water filled milk jugs.
nothing really happened much they just kind of collapsed a little and got a very little bit deformed.

Back
Top Bottom